Sax on the Web Forum banner

For whom do you most dislike playing and why

• Family (includes your dad's friends who always ask if you know Yakkety Sax)

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Your friends

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Your saxophone playing friends (not really your friends)

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • wife/girlfriend/life partner

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Sax teachers or old band directors

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Old people

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 27 30.0%
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
semipro said:
I spent a week playing with Gunnar Mossblad and although he was very very nice, I have not been so intimidated in close to 20 yrs.
WORST audition I ever gave was for Gunnar Mossblad while he was the saxophone teacher at JMU. My ex girlfriend of 3 years had signed up months in advance to be my guide for the "music department tour" and we broke up about a week and a half before my audition. I was torn up to be on campus, much less be in her department (as she was something of a flute player). I walked in and Gunnar and Rusty Blevins (who I had spoken to several times and admired) listened to me fumble through a Ferling and completely F' up Yardbird Suite. I will never, ever forget getting done with my audition and catching the look from Gunnar that seemed to say "I'm sorry you didn't do well...you seemed like you were capable of so much better."

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Oh, then there was the club owner in Southport VA who stiffed us $2500. He was part of the audience for awhile, before he high-tailed it (last seen heading toward West Virginia).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,569 Posts
jstin4all said:
WORST audition I ever gave was for Gunnar Mossblad while he was the saxophone teacher at JMU. My ex girlfriend of 3 years had signed up months in advance to be my guide for the "music department tour" and we broke up about a week and a half before my audition. "
She was all wrong for you anyway.:evil:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,983 Posts
I hate class reunions. They bring on the lamest responses of all gigs. Everyone is too busy catching up with each other I guess. I've done a few, but the most notable was for this class of 1964. I was playing in an oldies/duwop gig and I swear that you could hear a pin drop after each song. Right before the second set, the organizer of the reunion announced all of the deaths of the people in the class. It was kind of sad as there were pictures and descriptions of what had happened to each of these classmates. It was like a short memorial service...ALL RIGHT NOW LET'S PLAY TEQUILLA!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Old people are the worst because there is usually someone always complaining about the noise and asking us to play softer. Usually it is the person sitting closest to the PA speakers.

Trying to play for four hours quietly is like trying to give a motivational speech while whispering.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Just because an audience doesn't appear attentive doesn't mean they're not enjoying it. I've had people come up to me afterwards and tell me they liked it, even though they never even looked in my direction while I was playing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
jstin4all said:
For whom do you dislike playing for the most and why?

I voted for "your sax playing friends (not really your friends)" because my friends usually call out the must ludacris requests like Donna Lee, in their key of preference which usually goes ignored.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a universal phenomenon or just local but has anyone noticed that when you lend a sax playing friend something...it automatically becomes theirs until you physically retrieve it? I've lost mouthpieces, ligatures and more CDs than I can count by one of my buddies saying "hey man, can I try this out? I'll get it to you next time I see you."
man, sounds like you have some messed up sax friends. And by the way, if your sax playing friends aren't really your friends, something is messed up. I feel like brothers with my sax playing friends.

i like playing for any of those choices, even Chuck Norris. The people I don't like to play in front of are people, while playing with a jazz group, who ask for songs a jazz band isn't going to play, like "SKYNARD" or bohemium rhapsody or mustang sally or freebird or whatever else the drunk hick is asking for. I hate those idiots. But I am never rude to them. I usually say, we have something close to that, and then they go running away like a wild ape in heat...

If i had a band that was playing covers, or when I am in a band that plays covers, or a wedding band, or pop music bar band, sure, Sally it up, but otherwise, go to a bar with a rock band if thats really what you want to hear.

But, like some others have said, a gig is a gig, just play and love it. I like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to hate drunks. I used to hate loud, inattentive folks. I used to hate ignorant young people who only know music from the eighties and today's garbage on the radio.

More than anything, I hated being "audio wallpaper" at restaurants or "somewhere between entertainment and furniture" at high dollar private events.

Then, I realized that I was making close to 50k a year playing my horns and singing. No joke, folks. I'll play Mack the Knife fifty times every night if that means all my bills are paid and I have money to blow. I play with great musicians everyday and love my job.

I've come to the realization that if you are complaining about your audience, you must not REALLY have the need to perform. Instead of whining about it, win 'em over. If you can't win them over with song selection or by entertaining them, take a smoke break... then try again. Ideally, if you're playing your a** off, someone IS listening, and people DO care. In fact, pretty much every time I think that no one is diggin' on my music, I'm almost ALWAYS proven wrong by someone droppin' some love my way... and by love, I mean a crisp $20 in my jar.

This entire post seems rather juvenile to me-- let me rephrase... this post should be perhaps... "who makes you the most nervous to play in front of?" If that were the question, I'd say my family. They are not musicians and don't understand the effort needed to blow over "Prelude to a Kiss." It's really tough winning over folks that don't know the language or the history. You can bet your bottom dollar that they love "Pure Imagination" or "Pink Panther." Oh well. Such is life.

Sorry about my rant. Tim is right. A gig is a gig. Anyone who makes a living playing their ax knows that. It should not even have to be said. But it has, and should be repeated over and over and over again until amateur musicians realize that it's REALLY hard to make a living in this business and if you have to make rent or buy groceries, you learn to grow up and deal. If every audience was the "perfect" audience, there'd more likely than not a much greater pool of pro musicians to work with/for. Truth is, I'm very happy that there are a bunch of people out there who complain about certain gig situations... because I don't, and the result is a roof over my head, food for my belly, and some extra 'scrilla for my blasted GAS.(no thanks to this forum).

Everyone have a blessed day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
knighttrain:

Please forgive me. I really don't mean to be THAT guy.

I honestly don't see it as a job- man, I get to PLAY. It's not work to me. Well, sometimes dealing with a crowd is work, but it's good work. I love the challenge.

I thought the idea of the forum and open discussion was to share our thoughts and experiences... it's too bad that I've been compared to "taking the fun out of playing."

Do what you do... and I will as well. I love to play. Though playing and performing is my "job," I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Have a great day! And again, I'm sorry if I seem negative, if not just brutally honest. I do love this site and don't really post unless something gets my proverbial goat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Having played for my share of empty rooms I'm generaly grateful for each and every person in the room. And I'll take a room full of drunks anyday! They hoot and holler more than sober people, and hootin' and hollerin' is why I play gigs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,617 Posts
Okay, this is funny because i actually did play for Chuck Norris once. I can't remember the music, but it was a recording session for him. It was in the 1970s and he was trying to see about getting a recording career. He had a series of Karate studios in California but hadn't made the big time yet. As i recall, he paid didn't pay us very much but threw in a year's membership at his Karate places!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts