Sax on the Web Forum banner

For whom do you most dislike playing and why

• Family (includes your dad's friends who always ask if you know Yakkety Sax)

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Your friends

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Your saxophone playing friends (not really your friends)

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • wife/girlfriend/life partner

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Sax teachers or old band directors

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Old people

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 27 30.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,869 Posts
Well, none of the above or any of the above, actually, depending on how responsive they are. The kind of audience I hate is one with no response to the music, whatsoever. Grumps may be close to what I mean. Say a country club cocktail party where the music is just "window dressing:" You play a great tune, end it, and no one looks your way, no clapping, nothing. They just keep nattering away over their cocktails. I've only been in this situation once or twice, luckily, but it's pretty deadly. Of course if the money is good, I don't care that much. Still, that would be my most hated audience.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,869 Posts
jstin4all said:
Ok, from now on we'll lump "rich old drunk people" in with the "old people response"
Not for me, either. "Rich" and "old" don't really fit together at all. Who says old people are rich? A few are, but a lot more are poor! I guess if you are 15 years old, then everyone who is rich would be old to you. Anyway, age has little to do with it, in terms of a good audience, unless you are playing a specific genre of music that seems to appeal to one age group. I think jazz and blues run across the board, age-wise. Although it may be true that folks with more "life experience" are drawn to jazz/blues.

Maybe in some cases rich people haven't had the time to really listen to music, but overall I wouldn't generalize here either. I do know if I spent my youth working 15 hours a day, instead of prowling the clubs in search of great jazz, I might be rich, but only in monetary terms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts