Sax on the Web Forum banner

For whom do you most dislike playing and why

• Family (includes your dad's friends who always ask if you know Yakkety Sax)

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Your friends

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Your saxophone playing friends (not really your friends)

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • wife/girlfriend/life partner

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Sax teachers or old band directors

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Old people

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 27 30.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For whom do you dislike playing for the most and why?

I voted for "your sax playing friends (not really your friends)" because my friends usually call out the must ludacris requests like Donna Lee, in their key of preference which usually goes ignored.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a universal phenomenon or just local but has anyone noticed that when you lend a sax playing friend something...it automatically becomes theirs until you physically retrieve it? I've lost mouthpieces, ligatures and more CDs than I can count by one of my buddies saying "hey man, can I try this out? I'll get it to you next time I see you."

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, from now on we'll lump "rich old drunk people" in with the "old people response"

I have come to understand that Chuck Norris is actually a percussionist...he's actually had several pieces written for the thunderous sounds his fists make when striking a man dead. One of the pieces actually has a cadenza of him cracking skulls. Or at least that's what I heard.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
semipro said:
I spent a week playing with Gunnar Mossblad and although he was very very nice, I have not been so intimidated in close to 20 yrs.
WORST audition I ever gave was for Gunnar Mossblad while he was the saxophone teacher at JMU. My ex girlfriend of 3 years had signed up months in advance to be my guide for the "music department tour" and we broke up about a week and a half before my audition. I was torn up to be on campus, much less be in her department (as she was something of a flute player). I walked in and Gunnar and Rusty Blevins (who I had spoken to several times and admired) listened to me fumble through a Ferling and completely F' up Yardbird Suite. I will never, ever forget getting done with my audition and catching the look from Gunnar that seemed to say "I'm sorry you didn't do well...you seemed like you were capable of so much better."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts