Sax on the Web Forum banner

For whom do you most dislike playing and why

• Family (includes your dad's friends who always ask if you know Yakkety Sax)

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Your friends

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Your saxophone playing friends (not really your friends)

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • wife/girlfriend/life partner

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Sax teachers or old band directors

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Old people

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 27 30.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I couldn't vote!
I, in my glorious 8 months of playing, have never played to an audience I didn't like.
1) my wife. She loves my latin version of "The Nearness of You". She's from Mexico City.
2) my daughter. She pretty much ignored me the first 5 or 6 months, then she heard my soulful a cappella rendition of "Danny Boy" in the garage and became my biggest (and shortest) fan.
3) my son, the music man. Virtuoso on trumpet, flugelhorn, English horn, and several dozen other instruments, it was he who suggested I take up sax. Even though he can play circles around me and stop on a dime, he loves it when I play and especially loves to duet.
4) the rest of my family. Actually, I haven't played for them yet. I'm working up to giving them a big (and hopefully pleasant) surprise (along with my son) for our annual Thanksgiving feast.
5) my church. This is my favorite spot to play. I have the freedom to play or not play, wherever the Spirit leads me. The addition of tenor sax (my son's suggestion) has been yearned for for decades by church members. They wanted it so bad they don't even mind that it is me.
6) pizza joint. On a beer-sogged late evening, I played through my entire 20-song backing track CD four or five times. I made a ton of money, some free pizza, and lots of new friends.
7) city college concert band. This was a new experience with very difficult pieces and I played air sax quite a bit. The good thing was I faded well into the sea of 120 other tuxes and black dresses so no one noticed me.

I just have fun playing the sax and although I know someday I will experience one or more of the negative audiences that have been previously mentioned, I hope I can just take it in stride and keep on honking. :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Last night I played for a large group of people in a convention center, and Chuck Norris was in the audience.
By the end of the first chorus he had already wiped out all the drunks, the yuppies, the old people, and most of the kindergarten teachers.
Then he started on my sax-playing friends, my other friends, people who hate me (which pretty much took care of the rest of the audience), the astronauts and the old band directors. He had a lot of fun with the Salvation Army guys, along with the Elvis impersonator.
By the second chorus he round-kicked my wife, punched my daughter, kicked my dog, and tied my son into a pretzel. Then he worked on the chef, the waiters, the maitre d', and the wine steward, as well as the bell hops and the parking attendants. Calls to 911 went unanswered.
During the solo, he destroyed the entire North Vietnamese army.
I was valiantly trying to carry on (the show must go on . . . ) when he knocked out the entire rhythm section with a well-placed back kick, and then got my piano player with a dirty look.
He finally came up to me, and as I stood there trembling pitifully before him, he asked me if I was ever going to play "Yakety Sax" like Kenny G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts