Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a Morgan vintage sop mpc for my Yamaha sop and wonder what some of you users out there have to say about it?

Is its sound warm and dark as the name "vintage" suggests? Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Thang: After folks who liked the Super Session J posted that they liked the Morgan Vintage even better, I bought two of them . . . a 6 and a 7 from Junkdude. I had to have the barrels shortened so the Morgans would shove on far enough on my TT soprano. The Morgans before being altered butted up against the high-octave vent before I could come to a pitch slightly sharper than A-440 (a tuning I regularly find in some public venues).

For me, the Morgan Vintages play warmer and fuller, but that isn't all good. I guess it depends on the room and the horn I choose to play. Plus, I'm finding that the Morgans require more effort for me to hit the high notes. I use a slightly harder reed on the Morgans than I do the SS-J (meaning a #2 that I haven't shaved down as much).

In the mid and low ranges, the Morgans have a fine tone. In the high end, they are a bit thin for me. At a gig yesterday, I used the Morgan Vintage 7 on my TT and it worked fine (the TT has about the strongest high end of any of my sops, so the MV7's high-end weakness was mitigated by the horn's ability to play those notes . . . not that I remain up there - only that when I want those notes, I NEED them).

Between the 6 and the 7, I like the 7 better, just as it is with any mouthpiece. The more open the tip, the fuller the sound for me. Both blow extremely easily, though and respond well until I reach B3 and above. Maybe a harder reed would help that, but I'd lose the ease and warmth of everything below there.

So here's how I've been doing it lately . . . TT-MJ7; S901-SS-J; S992-either, depending on circumstances. The SS-J's cut better. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Well, I got one partly on Dave's comments (smaller tip, though - 5). I too have a TT, and on mine have managed to avoid cutting it down and haven't hit the top post (quite) yet. Lovely mellow tone, and I find it quite strong enough at the top end. Similar on my Yani S-6, where the altissimo is easier, but the same is true for every mp I've tried. I find V16s grade 2 work best for me.

·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave and Potiphar. Have either of you, or anyone, tried the Morgan jazz model?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Yellowhorn said:
Thanks Dave and Potiphar. Have either of you, or anyone, tried the Morgan jazz model?
I have. It's a fantastic mouthpiece, but they have become very difficult to find. The chamber has a larger baffle than the Vintage, and the rubber blank is different. It will be brighter than the Vintage, but still in Meyer range (as opposed to a Lakey or Dukoff.)

·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, J Max. I thought that the jazz model was dark? But you are saying the vintage model is darker than the jazz one.

·
1,423 Posts
Yellowhorn - I have a vintage and like it very much- but here's an interesting story- last spring I was visiting Randy Jones (at Tenor Madness) and messing with sopranos with the Morgan and other pieces. After hearing the Morgan, he offered to buy from me for retail, which I think says something, given the access he has to mouthpieces.

·
878 Posts
I have a Morgan Vintage 6 and it's a great piece. The bore on mine is very open and I have to wrap paper on my cork in order to get it on snug. I use a Vandoren Optimum lig on it and V16 3's. I have a couple Selmer SS (G and I) and I don't see why everyone loves them so much. I guess it's just personal taste.

·
14,268 Posts
I LOVE my Super Sessions, but they are the more open J-facings. Before getting down on the SS pieces, you should try the J. Other posters have made similar comments - once they blew the J, the smaller tips went bye-bye.

I also had an SS-I (came with a new Serie III sop I once bought - and sold). The SS-I went to my daughter, who likes it. It was not for me.

Same with the Morgan Vintage 6 and 7 - I have both, the 7 being a much better player for me.

But the truth is that we all differ, so wondering why someone else likes the SS pieces so much is to not understand that everyone is different. I would never trash a mouthpiece just 'cause I didn't like it. DAVE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts