Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering a mouthpiece change for the last year or so, and two pieces that keep coming up on my list are the Morgan 8J (no longer in production) and “The Vintage” by Morgan. Aside from the fact that the 8J is hard rubber and the “Vintage” is resin, what similarities or differences can be expected between these two pieces? Physical differences (internal & external) and how those differences might impact tone, ease of playing, comfort, etc. I’m thinking I will try both, but just wondering what I can expect in a comparison of these two specific models. I'm considering a few other pieces as well, but the Morgans (for bari at least) are harder to find information/reviews/opinions on. And, yes, I know we're all different and mouthpieces are very personal.

I just got back into bari a few years ago and have been playing a plastic American Plating mouthpiece until recently, when I decided to try out a Metalite M7 and M9. I like the Metalites alright, but I’m looking for what I can only describe as a fuller or rounder or warmer sound. My horn is a mid-seventies Amati stencil (low Bb). I currently just play for myself at home and have been taking lessons from a local pro for about two and a half years.

Thanks in advance,
Heath

·
Registered
957 Posts
Contact Junkdude Music and ask for Dave. (614) 920-9580 Dave knows more about Morgan mouthpieces than almost anyone and I am sure he can point you in the right direction.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,255 Posts
I have been considering a mouthpiece change for the last year or so, and two pieces that keep coming up on my list are the Morgan 8J (no longer in production) and “The Vintage” by Morgan. Aside from the fact that the 8J is hard rubber and the “Vintage” is resin, what similarities or differences can be expected between these two pieces? Physical differences (internal & external) and how those differences might impact tone, ease of playing, comfort, etc. I’m thinking I will try both, but just wondering what I can expect in a comparison of these two specific models. I'm considering a few other pieces as well, but the Morgans (for bari at least) are harder to find information/reviews/opinions on. And, yes, I know we're all different and mouthpieces are very personal.

I just got back into bari a few years ago and have been playing a plastic American Plating mouthpiece until recently, when I decided to try out a Metalite M7 and M9. I like the Metalites alright, but I’m looking for what I can only describe as a fuller or rounder or warmer sound. My horn is a mid-seventies Amati stencil (low Bb). I currently just play for myself at home and have been taking lessons from a local pro for about two and a half years.

Thanks in advance,
Heath
If you like the Metalite but want a warmer sound, you might want to try a Rico Graftonite. Cheap, similar to a Metalite but not so edgy.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I've got a Morgan ProTone I haven't used in a while. It has a tip opening of 0.090" and gives a full, round tone, good for jazz. I stopped using it because the r&b stuff I play on bari these days needs a raunchier sound, that I get from other pieces like the MacSax, PPT, Lebayle and Berg ones I move between. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Contact Junkdude Music and ask for Dave. (614) 920-9580 Dave knows more about Morgan mouthpieces than almost anyone and I am sure he can point you in the right direction.
This is the right answer but in the interest of giving you something to consider....

I don't own either of these for bari but I own several Morgan jazz pieces for alto and tenor. I'd expect (assuming the 8J bari piece is similar to the tenor and alto pieces) that it has a rollover baffle, slightly undercut sidewalls into a round throat and medium chamber. The pictures I've seen on the web of the "Vintage" show it with straight sidewalls into what appears to be a horseshoe shaped chamber. Hard to tell since the pictures I've seen it look like someone just removed the drill from the piece and handed it to the photographer. Frankly it looks terrible and I don't know why the folks at Morgan would post a picture like that. I'd be pretty disappointed if I paid $200 for a piece and the throat/chamber looked that crummy. The undercut sidewalls, and larger throat and chamber would make the 8J a bit darker but if it has more baffle that may also balance the sound out so it's hard to say without looking at them more closely or better yet playing them how they would compare in terms of sound.

That being said I think there are a lot of really good choices for this type of mouthpiece besides the two Morgans such as; Link HR Tone Edge, PPT Signature, RPC rollover, Mouthpiece Cafe Grande Supreme, Rousseau JDX, Vandoren V16, HR Berg, HR Meyer, etc. and the best thing to do is try as many pieces as you can to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Junkdude offers a 10 trial and will take a return for a $10 restocking fee. I have two Morgan Jazz tenor pieces and the finishing work is excellent. With the Junkdude return policy (the restocking fee is waived if you order more than one piece, buy one, and return the others) it is pretty low risk to try one. I have purchased from Dave more than once and always I have been extremely satisfied.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a Morgan ProTone I haven't used in a while. It has a tip opening of 0.090" and gives a full, round tone, good for jazz. I stopped using it because the r&b stuff I play on bari these days needs a raunchier sound, that I get from other pieces like the MacSax, PPT, Lebayle and Berg ones I move between. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks Mike T, I'll keep that in mind!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the responses. I have been in touch with Dave at Junkdude and he has provided some great information. As I mentioned in my original post, these are just two of the pieces I am considering, so I have some thinking and trials to do. Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's an update for anyone who is interested. I finally got around to ordering a few mouthpieces to try, including the old stock Morgan 8J and the more recent Morgan "Vintage" model. For me with my horn there was no contest: the 8J wins, hands down. Easy playing right away, good core tone with some brightness and edge, loads of volume, comfortable beak angle. The "Vintage" is harder to play, has a lackluster tone, a steep uncomfortable beak angle. Soundwise it honestly reminded me a bit of my experience with the Metalites. It was also much more difficult to control. I am still trying a couple of other mouthpieces and have not made my final decision yet. Closest contender to the 8J is (believe it or not) a brand new modern Babbitt Link in a 6 tip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts