Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a few post that Morgan puts out a nice sop mouthpiece. Does anyone know where I can find a facing chart? I would hate to purchase a mouthpiece and send it back only because the facing was no right for me.

TIA,
The 'catfish'

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If you go to the site the drop-down lists the various rip openings.

I assume they use the same target tip openings for a 5 for all their soprano mouthpieces, but I've been wrong today and there's room for more.

For what it's worth, their plastic Vintage plays very well for me. I would like to try a Vintage Large Chamber at some point.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have several Morgan soprano pieces; Vintage, large-chamber Vintage, hard-rubber, all in #7 tips (.070) and one Vintage in #6 (.065). They are really good players for me on modern and vintage sopranos. Among the Vintage pieces, the large-chamber isn't quite as good as the regular-chamber, but that could be just MY embouchure.

I've recently downsized tip-openings, though. When playing the Morgans, I always adjusted my usual soft reeds (like Vandoren ZZ and Javas and blue-box #2's) to be even softer. Now with the closed-tip pieces I'm using (like a Selmer Concept at .042, Selmer S-80 D, and a scroll-shank C*), I use the same reeds but don't adjust them down a lot like I did with the open pieces.

I THINK the Morgans follow a predictable path down the measuring scale, in .05" increments but maybe "junkdude" (Dave Hoskins?, who sells Morgans) can tell you more about them. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
If you go to the site the drop-down lists the various rip openings.

I assume they use the same target tip openings for a 5 for all their soprano mouthpieces, but I've been wrong today and there's room for more.

For what it's worth, their plastic Vintage plays very well for me. I would like to try a Vintage Large Chamber at some point.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Sizes are in units of inches.

Soprano Jazz series:

https://www.morganmouthpieces.com/products/morgan-jazz-soprano-saxophone-mouthpiece

4 .055
5 .060
6 .065
7 .070
8 .075

The classical series has a span of smaller tip sizes.

https://www.morganmouthpieces.com/products/morgan-classical-soprano-saxophone-mouthpiece

1C .041
2C .045
3C .050
4C .055
5C .060

1 - 5 of 5 Posts