Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been some other comments made here in SOTW Land about the ProTone, but I was wondering if there are any new comments? I have never been totally happy with my S80 C*, also have a Meyer 5M but it's too bright for most of the things I do. I had a clarinet ProTone given to me and I put the Vandoren B45 away. It's a great piece.

Comments?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. What are "most of the things you do"?
Primarily wind ensemble work and "legit" stuff. On those rare occasions I play alto in a jazz ensemble it's on 2nd, never lead.

·
27,647 Posts
In that case, the Protone should work well. However, if it were me, I would probably grab a Rousseau NC4 which I think has a tad more projection and presence than a Protone. I think it would be a good match for your Selmer VII. But Protones are good alto mpcs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have thought about a NC4 but I thought I read here in SOTW somewhere that the NC series sometimes can't be pushed in far enough to bring a Selmer up to pitch. Maybe I misread the thread.

Thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
The ProTone is a great mouthpiece even if it is the least expensive of Morgans. The Classic, Vintage and Jazz (with the large chamber) are equally great (I never cared for the Excalibur). Call Eric Greiffenhagen and tell him what YOU are looking for tone wise, he'll get you set up right.

JR

·
27,647 Posts
I have thought about a NC4 but I thought I read here in SOTW somewhere that the NC series sometimes can't be pushed in far enough to bring a Selmer up to pitch.
Nonsense. Now, I don't know the idiosyncrasies of your particular alto, but my "legit" alto setup was Selmer S80 Serie II alto, Rousseau NC5 mpc and Vandoren #3 Trad reeds.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nonsense. Now, I don't know the idiosyncrasies of your particular alto, but my "legit" alto setup was Selmer S80 Serie II alto, Rousseau NC5 mpc and Vandoren #3 Trad reeds.
Well...that's good news. Now it's time to try a NC4. How consistent are they? I can try up to 4 of them and keep the best one from WWBW, or should I simply get 1, maybe 2 and keep the best?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.