Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I’ve played Morgan M chamber alto mouthpieces off and on along with Meyer and Meyer clones, and I’ve always gone back to the Meyers because the Morgan M eventually seems too bright for my taste. Ironically, the Morgan L chambers I’ve tried on alto just seem too dead and dark. I recently acquired one of the ML chamber alto mouthpieces that Erik has been making since Ralph passed away, and I really think Erik has hit a home run with this model. For me it outplays all my vintage Meyers and Meyer clones, is extremely reed friendly and has just the right balance of warmth and edge, of you’re looking for a great handmade hard rubber alto mouthpiece in the Meyer tradition, you owe it to yourself to try one of these.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine is a jazz model (thicker blank than the Excalibur)
sounds great! what size facing is that? reed? I'm currently playing a 7M (.80) but was kicking around the idea of having Eric bring it down to around .77-78 I'm looking for a little more centered, less spread sound although I love the way the 7M plays with w Rigotti 2.5 strong.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, on the video I’m playing a 4 facing with a Vandoren Java 4 reed, but I also have a 5 that I like with softer reeds.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks, on the video I’m playing a 4 facing with a Vandoren Java 4 reed, but I also have a 5 that I like with softer reeds.
Nice! I'm sending mine off to Erik this week. I think I'll like a slightly closer facing. I have a Meyer G 6 I like too.
thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
For those looking for the "ML" models, they are now called the New York models. Same mouthpiece, just different names. Back in 1980, the Morgan Company started out with Medium and Large Chambers. In the past 4 years, we've added additional chambers...ML on alto, but then tenor got really confusing...ML, MLL, MLL-FB. So a few years back, we renamed them to names that hopefully make a bit more sense. The ML was renamed the New York model since the interior design was inspired by vintage Meyer Bros New York. On tenor, the ML was also renamed to New York (same reason). The MLL was renamed to Florida (interior inspired by Florida Links), the MLL-FB was renamed to Indiana (interior inspired by Early Babbitt Links). Of course, the original Ralph Morgan designed M and L chambers are still in production as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the Excalibur. I'm not much of a player but it has served me well while I am insulting my Selmer 162 for the past twenty years. As an aside, for all you Morgan fans, about two years before Ralph died, he convinced three of us to invest $20,000 each in a new alto that he designed called the Rose. The lead alto in the Ray Charles Band seemed to like it. Ralph bragged that Ray thought that sounded better then his Mark VI. Ralph died leaving Georgia with a lot of IRS debt and the three of us with a lot of worthless paper. Anyone ever hear anything about the Rose?

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
I like the Excalibur. I'm not much of a player but it has served me well while I am insulting my Selmer 162 for the past twenty years. As an aside, for all you Morgan fans, about two years before Ralph died, he convinced three of us to invest $20,000 each in a new alto that he designed called the Rose. The lead alto in the Ray Charles Band seemed to like it. Ralph bragged that Ray thought that sounded better then his Mark VI. Ralph died leaving Georgia with a lot of IRS debt and the three of us with a lot of worthless paper. Anyone ever hear anything about the Rose?
The Morgan alto (I don't recall having heard it called the "Rose" before) has been mentioned occasionally on the forum over the years. It's really hard to find the threads because of all the posts about his mouthpieces. Maybe a searcher better than me can find more, but here's one: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?14908-Ralph-Morgan-Alto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts