Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am a tenor player but I have recently acquired an alto. I have a Morgan Jazz 7M mouthpiece that I got off of EBay, and it’s pretty good I think, but I have not tried other pieces. My inclination is to learn how to play this thing on a traditional Meyer style mouthpiece (my impression is that Meyer HR is a good basic traditional go-to for alto, I guess it is to alto what a Link is to tenor). The Morgan site shows the M chamber as their brightest, and the L being more in the middle of the range, but not as dark as the classical chamber.
Is the Morgan L or M more like a good Meyer? What is the advantage of either the L or the M chamber over the other? Any impressions from people who have played both the M and the L would be great to hear.
Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Morgan Jazz Alto Mouthpieces are available in three chambers. Large, Medium and New York. While they are all distinctly Morgan, Ralph took a lot of design and manufacturing cues from the 1950s Meyer Bros way of doing things...not the Babbitt Meyer way. All of the Morgan mouthpieces are traditional style mouthpieces...round chambers and rollover baffles. There are no contemporary style high baffle mouthpieces in the Morgan offerings. So when we say the Medium chamber is the brightest...it is a traditional sense of brightness.

Ralph's original designs were the Medium Chamber and the Large Chamber. By 1980, nobody was making pure hard rubber, chart-designed, handcrafted mouthpieces any longer. He started the Morgan Company to bring back the lost art and science of traditional handcrafted mouthpieces. Ralph believed that Babbit Meyers and Otto Links had drifted far from the original designs and quality. Essentially, he designed the Medium Chamber to be a better Meyer than Meyer and the Large Chamber to be a better Otto Link than Otto Link...what they should have been like had they continued production independent of Babbitt.

The Morgan Jazz Medium Chamber mouthpiece that you have is along the lines of a Meyer. The Large Chamber is more along the lines of an Otto Link...darker in tone.

The New York Model is Erik Greiffenhagen's design. The 1950s Meyer Bros New York Medium Chamber Mouthpieces had a little larger chamber than more modern ones, so Erik designed the New York model to be more like the 1950s Meyer Bros pieces. It is warmer than the Medium Chamber, but still a medium chamber mouthpiece with a medium bright tone.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your comprehensive and detailed explanation of the Morgans. That’s awesome. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had both an M and an L and I sold the L. I found that the M is more flexible and that the L couldn't really be pushed that much (I guess it would work for certain types of playing).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts