Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although my JJ DV is my current main piece, I was continuing to look for a good HR piece for times when the DV is too much. I got a Morgan Jazz 6M, and boy what a piece. The craftsmanship is the best I've ever seen and it plays beautifully. There is no comparing this piece to any modern Links or Meyer's. Now I'm just trying to pair it up with a good ligature. I have an EDII which is good and Vandoren Optimum which is really good and I am using now. Anyone use the BG metal jazz?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I keep hearing about how good these are. I'd love to try a Morgan Jazz for tenor so would anyone like to buy me one? :D

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha.

I don't think I personally have heard how his tenor pieces are. I feel priveleged (sp?) just to have his alto piece. I waited a good 6 weeks for it and I know he is getting up there in age. The workmanship and packaging is simply the best. I still kind of wonder how it compares to competitors like JJ and Barone HR pieces.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
The JJ HR* is a nice piece, nice for the money. The Morgan 6M however is pretty much unbeatable in every department if a Meyer style roll over is your bag. The Optimum works very well. I haven't tried a BG Meyer Jazz Lig but the brass BG tradition is a good lig and I use a tenor one on my Lamberson Bari . When I AB the tradition with an Optimum on my Morgan M tenors the Optimum wins out but it's negligible. The Vandoren Masters is a very good Lig too if like me you stick to the two strip insert in the Optimum.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The real deal!

Morgan jazz pieces really are the real deal. I've tried numerous mouthpieces for alto (JJ, links, Selmers, Lamberson M, RPC, Morgan excalibur, etc...) but the Morgan Jazz (both M and L chambers) are the real deal. The only mouthpieces that can compare are my Brilhart Great Neck Tonalin and Freddie Gregory New York. I now have only three alto pieces, and those are the three : Brilhart, Gregory, and Morgan 6m.

It truly is the best value mouthpiece....possibly EVER!

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I think we've lived parallel lives Thunder as with the exception of the Brillhart ( Eric Dolphy) I've come to that same conclusion. The Morgan M with Superials on my 62 V1 really lets me play my tonal taste which is a mixture of Jackie Mac and Maceo.
The Freddie Model is a nice piece too. I had a couple I got from the man. He also made me a custom but it didn't compare to the Freddie models. Freddie's bag on alto ( and sop) is a large chamber with a medium baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
With my Morgan Jazz 7 M, I switch between Vandoren Masters and a Bay Rhodium plated ligature. Both are very good.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
I just got a 7M, and it's fantastic. I really like my Morgan classical pieces, but I'd forgotten how great his jazz pieces are. It's a lot more flexible than any piece I've played too, which is a big consideration.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For the individual that was curious as to how the tenor pieces were, I recently have purchased a Jazz 7L and am very very impressed. I did not know you could get that much sound out of a HR piece. The main thing that impresses me is that 1. the piece is extremely versatile 2. It can be played with projection that could shatter glass (hee hee) and 3. The tonal quality is not narrow and nasally but is very spread and full. If you have not tried one I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
does anyone play on an Excalibur model or do all you think that the jazz series is a better mouthpieces???

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IPLAYDABARI said:
does anyone play on an Excalibur model or do all you think that the jazz series is a better mouthpieces???
I actually have an Excalibur. I bought it before I bought the Jazz. I like the Jazz way better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts