Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
This seems to be getting pretty common in the mouthpiece maker/re-facer world...

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Did you only write him once? If so, try again. Maybe it went into his spam inbox.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had some his pieces for trial and they came at a time where I did not have enough time for thorough testing.
He did not answer to my questions regarding this, so I returned them hardly tested.
He also refaced a Link for me and did not respond to any emails I sent askign for the status.

My money for the trial pieces was returned without a comment and the Link arrived a few weeks late - also without a comment.

I really like his work, but communications does not seem to be his strength - at least not at the moment.
The same seems true for a number of other top refacers and mouthpiece makers, sadly.

So to summarize, he does his job, makes good pieces, but has been bad about getting back to me.
(And I tried all channels multiple times - must have got on his nerves quite badly).

Cheers,
Rudolf

·
Registered
52 Posts
Perhaps he’s on an extended holiday with Brian Powell, Eric Falcon and Fred Lebayle.
On one of those remote islands with no internet service.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Ya gotta admit,.. the clientele might drive you nuts. Saxophonists. We are a finicky bunch. Many of of think we know what we want but really have no idea and we want it now. If we don't like a piece, it's never our fault because we know how good we really would sound if we just found the holy grail.

I'm not excusing the way some of these people non-communicate. That is unacceptable, especially if you already have taken someones money or mouthpiece. But I can see how dealing with people like us can make you want to put your head in the sand. But on the other hand "You made your bed,.. now sleep in it",... as the saying goes.

The reality is you have to have decent management skills to run a business/service and make people satisfied. You have to tell people clearly what to expect and then meet those expectations. Your business is making people happy. Really, that is probably more important than how good you are on the craft end. Honestly, neither one is rocket science.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,583 Posts
🤔 I have the type of neurotic attention to detail and underlying math and science geekdom to be good at things like working on mouthpieces. I am borderline obsessive on returning communication...perhaps there’s an assistant/ apprentice opportunity out there for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bitchy…
Waiting 20 or so weeks for a mouthpiece to come back can do that to you.
Along with all the unanswered emails etc.
Frankly none of them are that good.
I’ll get the file and sandpaper out myself before sending another piece off again.
Or send it to Joe the Butcher.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I feel that there are a lot of unfair comments here.

especially linking Morgan to the sort of behaviour being seen from other "dodgy" mouthpiece refacers.

Have all you guys had personal experience with Morgan. Or are you just jumping on some kind of Bandwagon/witch-hunt.

hugely unfair.

He may be on holiday or whatever. who knows. its a big jump to link him to Lebayle type thievery.

Ive had 3 mouthpieces refaced by Morgan. his work is fantastic and he has never done anything that gave me any concern in the slightest.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Morgan is a nice cat. Try to get him on FB or just be patient. Sometimes these guys are just drowning in work and they just can't take all the enquiries and orders they wish to. I have written to him(not recently) and he always replied. Maybe the guy is just having a rough time. Who knows??!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I bought a HR alto from him years ago that plays really nicely. When I later tried to buy a similar mouthpiece in rhodium plated metal by e-mail for some hundred GB pounds, he didn't even reply. The rhodium one was listed on his website, but it seems he wasn't very keen on selling them ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
You know, for those defending him, these types of posts serve an important purpose for a community like ours. Think about it. You have a mouthpiece you want to get re-faced, you can literally send it to ANYONE... do you choose someone who takes your money then doesn't even have the courtesy to answer an email from time to time about completion timeframe? Well, because of threads like these, now you know who those refacers (potentially) are. And listen, to the "he's probably swamped" people, I work a 50 hour per week day job, teach 3 students, am in 2 bands with rehearsals, am married, and also run a small business with my wife, and I don't have any problems answering emails or messages I receive. It's about "want to", and apparently these guys don't "want to".

OR, if they're too busy or having issues with health etc, DON'T TAKE THE JOB! Whatever it is, there's no excuse for not communicating, sorry.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,941 Posts
t. You have a mouthpiece you want to get re-faced, you can literally send it to ANYONE... do you choose someone who takes your money then doesn't even have the courtesy to answer an email from time to time about completion timeframe?
Please note that in this case we have nothing to indicate money has been taken.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Please note that in this case we have nothing to indicate money has been taken.
Exactly..

we seem to be jumping from Rogers initial post, of possibly only 1 message not responded to, as recently as weeks ago, to linking Morgans name in with criminals like LEBAYLE.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts