Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Recently I bought a Super Vintage Tenor Mouthpiece from Morgan Fry (mfry on SOTW) from Morgan Fry Mouthpieces. There were some quality control issues that I couldn't ignore and I sent it back to him for a refund and he's kinda left me in the dark. He hasn't replied from email, text, call, pm, etc. I see that he's received the returned mouthpiece more than a week ago from a tracking number and is still replying to other customers emails, including my friend who he replied with "I have both in stock and can ship right away." yesterday within a few hours of the email inquiry. He was very fast and responsive when I was ordering it from him, but now he has the mouthpiece and $713 USD of my money in his possession that I could be using to help pay for hospital bills. Still no reply at all. Not sure what's going on but if anyone can reach out to him and help me receive a refund that would be really helpful right now. I've been as nice as I could be in the instance that he may be on vacation or busy with other work, but now it is becoming a hassle since he's not giving me specifically any type of response without notice. Has anyone else had a similar situation? Not sure what I can do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Morgan Fry has a good reputation here. Sorry to hear of your situation - and I understand that your concern is exacerbated by having medical bills at the same time you are buying a boutique mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hello all,

Recently I bought a Super Vintage Tenor Mouthpiece from Morgan Fry (mfry on SOTW) from Morgan Fry Mouthpieces in Leeds. There were some quality control issues that could not be ignored and I sent it back to him for a refund and he has left me completely in the dark. He has not replied from email, text, call, pm, etc. I see that he has received the returned mouthpiece more than a week ago from a tracking number and is still replying to other customers emails, including my friend who he replied with "I have both in stock and can ship right away." yesterday within a few hours of the email inquiry. He was very fast and responsive when I was ordering it from him, but now he has the mouthpiece and $713 USD of my money in his possession that I could be using to help pay for hospital bills . Still no reply at all. Not sure what the deal is with this but if anyone can reach out to him and help me get my refund that would be really helpful right now. I have been as nice as I could be in the instance that he may be on vacation or busy with other work, but now it is becoming a huge hassle since he's not giving me any type of response. Has anyone else had a similar situation? Not sure what I can do.
I'm assuming that you paid with a credit card. Contact your card company and let them know what's going on. They can make life difficult for Mr. Fry and he'll probably rectify the situation. Oh, and you probably should know, there's no such thing as a super vintage mouthpiece. A mouthpiece is only vintage when it's old, and only super when it's good.

Here's the only Morgan I would buy from. https://www.morganmouthpieces.com/

·
32,949 Posts
I'm assuming that you paid with a credit card. Contact your card company and let them know what's going on. They can make life difficult for Mr. Fry and he'll probably rectify the situation.
It would be good to hear both sides of the story before getting a rope.

Oh, and you probably should know, there's no such thing as a super vintage mouthpiece. A mouthpiece is only vintage when it's old, and only super when it's good.
It’s a model name, OK? And it’s not like Morgan Fry is the only one to use such a moniker. His happens to actually be a more true homage to the classics than most. He does good work.

That is “Morgan” in name only. Ralph Morgan is long gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It’s a model name, OK? And it’s not like Morgan Fry is the only one to use such a moniker. His happens to actually be a more true homage to the classics than most. He does good work.

This is not an attack post, Morgan does good work as I had seen from other players who use his pieces. That is the reason why I purchased from him. However, the problem is that I do not have the piece OR a refund from him and have not received a single clue as to why I'm not getting a reply in any form. I am not commenting on what kind of opinion I have over this piece or his work in general. However it feels rather questionable at the moment and unfortunate that I must resort to posting on this forum to grab his attention after this period of waiting. I am hoping for the best.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by Reet McVouty View Post

Hey Dr. G. You are wrong and here's why.

Yes, Ralph Morgan passed away in 2007. However, Erik Greiffenhagen joined the Morgan Company in the early 1980s. Erik has been making Morgan mouthpiece for around 39 years now...longer than Ralph did. John MacQueen joined the Morgan Company in the 1980s and he has been making Morgan mouthpieces for around 35 years...longer than Ralph did. Brian Powell joined the Morgan Company in the 1990s and has been making Morgan mouthpieces for 20+ years now...probably as long as Ralph did.

As for production, very little has changed. We still use Ralph's pure rubber formula. We use the same molds Ralph designed and made. We vulcanize our castings the same way. We use the same three craftsmen that Ralph did. We use the same tools as we always have...hands, sandpaper, and files (not computer files, but hand tools). We've added some new models and facings, but we still make nearly all the models Ralph offered when he was around. I could go on and on here. Really, the only thing that changed is we are no longer working in Ralph's basement, and Ralph is no longer paying the bills. So when you say we are "Morgan" in name only, you are WRONG! We really have not changed much in 39 years. What mouthpiece company can say that?

·
32,949 Posts
Hey Dr. G. You are wrong and here's why.

Yes, Ralph Morgan passed away in 2007. However, Erik Greiffenhagen joined the Morgan Company in the early 1980s. Erik has been making Morgan mouthpiece for around 39 years now...longer than Ralph did. John MacQueen joined the Morgan Company in the 1980s and he has been making Morgan mouthpieces for around 35 years...longer than Ralph did. Brian Powell joined the Morgan Company in the 1990s and has been making Morgan mouthpieces for 20+ years now...probably as long as Ralph did.

As for production, very little has changed. We still use Ralph's pure rubber formula. We use the same molds Ralph designed and made. We vulcanize our castings the same way. We use the same three craftsmen that Ralph did. We use the same tools as we always have...hands, sandpaper, and files (not computer files, but hand tools). We've added some new models and facings, but we still make nearly all the models Ralph offered when he was around. I could go on and on here. Really, the only thing that changed is we are no longer working in Ralph's basement, and Ralph is no longer paying the bills. So when you say we are "Morgan" in name only, you are WRONG! We really have not changed much in 39 years. What mouthpiece company can say that?
Sorry to have ruffled any feathers, JunkDude. I only said that Ralph isn’t there. I have long been a fan of Morgan mouthpieces, and have recommended them many times over the years - and as recent as this week.

Thank you for the history lesson regarding Morgan Mouthpieces. You have every right to be proud of carrying on the legacy that Ralph Morgan built.

Respect,

George

P.S. Where did the name “JunkDude” come from???

·
Premium Member
15,496 Posts
As for Morgan Fry,
I am a friend of his and would be happy to get in touch with him and try to help you with this.
He is a first class person and I am sure he will take care of this for you.

I’ll send him an email now.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
In all the dealings that I have had with Morgan Fry in the past, he has always been a very professional, reliable and honest mouthpiece maker and dealer. I suspect the situation that you describe simply involves some kind of misunderstanding rather than any kind of malicious behaviour.

·
Premium Member
15,496 Posts
I sent him an email and I’m sure he will respond and take care of everything.

Let us know how it works out.
All the best, Mark

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

Well since Mr. Fry has failed responded to the OP's inquiries and has $713.00 of his money I believe it to be a correct course of action to get his money back. I also think that Morgan Fry could be courteous enough to respond and say he was looking into the matter and would be in touch. That probably would have been enough to put the OP at ease.

As far as my remark on the "Super Vintage" name it was meant to be more or less tongue in cheek. I get it, it's a marketing ploy and a lot of manufactures are doing this.

As for Ralph Morgan mouthpieces, yes I know he's dead. The beauty is, his mouthpieces live on. I've been playing a J7 on soprano for almost 30 years (There's a good chance Ralph might have made it.) I also own an Excalibur and I've recently purchased a large chamber alto mouthpiece made by Erik Greiffenhagen. I have nothing but praise for The Morgan Mouthpiece Co. as I'm quite satisfied with my purchases I've made with them, and I can say my correspondence with them while they were making my new alto piece that they were very attentive.

I do not know Morgan Fry, He may be a very good mouthpiece maker. But his customer service skills seem to be lacking, to say the least.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I read it';s be a little over a week, aren';t we all getting a tad carried away here?
Give the guy a break.
Yes let me repeat again I am not coming with stakes and torches. Morgan sounds like a cool guy and does good work and was very informative. I am simply trying to see if someone else can reach out to him since my contact does not get through apparently. This is also for finding advice for this type of situation for anyone else who is left wondering where their money and product went for however long amount of time. Some other member on this forum told me that they waited 5 months on a work order and it only grabbed Morgan's attention when they made a fuss about it on this website.

Granted, this is not a work order for refacing a supplied piece. He responded within 15 min to an hour several times- at the least when selling the mouthpiece to me- and when I was not content and asked about a refund I received no response back until I called a few days after I emailed. I will not be asserting my opinion over anybody's work, however I would prefer that I receive a valid refund with a few taps on Paypal for a few seconds, versus other customers requests to rush work and jump wait lists. I'm ALL for waiting months for a quality product and being informed on an eventual refund status, but now there's more pressure if I have no idea. Red flags start to get raised, but hopefully this is just a misunderstanding.

Either way the courtesy of a confirmation that he received the piece or information on return policy or refund status or if he was busy on vacation would've been nice- I am mainly just looking for a refund. And yes I have read his policy on his website. I have been cheated before by a certain electronic instrument store and hearing stories about other mouthpiece makers going into hiding with people's personal pieces starts to stretch the imagination. When you deal with that cost, I would assume anyone would want to know what's going on. I have not worked with him before and am not sure of a vacation, even though he was replying to inquiries quickly to my friend. But anyways I would also like to be given a "break" and know what the situation is with a single reply from Morgan. I do not mean any of this personally to Morgan, he's cool and probably not like that based on the common opinion of him. My favorite tenor player plays his mouthpiece. But now I just want a full refund and that the right thing is hopefully being done.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've found that occasionally mouthpiece refacers can get a little behind in their work due to personal situations. I wouldn't think Morgan Fry is pulling a 'Dave Guardala' or a 'Dave Jary' on you. :|

·
Registered
708 Posts
So has the problem been resolved?

1 - 20 of 137 Posts