Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I hope somebody here gets the opportunity to try one and post a review.

·
2,146 Posts
Interesting. The description says:
A few years ago, the Morgan Company acquired a bunch of antique original M.C. Gregory Mouthpiece Molds and Cores. This acquisition Included original cores for Gregory 18 model alto mouthpiece. Using his knowledge of original mouthpieces and by studying the original molds, Erik developed this model.
That doesn't actually say that the Morgan Company has used the M.C. Gregory molds and cores to make the blanks for these new pieces, just that they have studied them. Maybe those particular originals aren't in a great condition.

It would be great to read and hear more.

Rhys

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
There's a video of Eric G. playing the piece (Facebook or YouTube,) and you can definitely hear some Desmond in the tone.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,627 Posts
I heard my friend Erik Greiffenhagen on it, and he sounds wonderful.

For all of you looking for that Desmond vibe, this should be a fantastic choice for you.
My friends at Morgan do a great job, and I'm sure this will be a success and make many players happy.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I mean I can do the same thing with an off the shelf OL TE 6
I'm not saying it's necessary that one purchase this mouthpiece to sound like PD, only that Erik G. did a good job of it on the video. For what it's worth I can get a decent Desmond on my Selmer Concept and my Lelandais Trompette. The Dry Martini seems nice, but it's a little too rich for my blood. I'll wait for a used one to pop up.

·
Registered
Alto - Aristocrat 140, Morgan NY 5 | Tenor - Selmer-Era Aristocrat, Otto Link HR 6*
9 Posts
Haven't played that particular piece before, but if Morgan's other mouthpieces are anything to go by, there's no doubt in my mind that it's fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
26,395 Posts
To play like Desmond, you need to play softly and with incredibly good note choices.

Reactions: leycroft

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I love listening to Paul Desmond. He was my first real sax crush listening to him on my dad’s vinyl when I was just a kid. There was a time I wanted to sound like him, but the more and more I listened to him I often found he sounded too constrained. I would love to have his musicality and phrasing but I’ll be satisfied with improving the way I sound for now. Plus it just doesn’t sound fun playing that 2x4 of a reed he played to purge the upper harmonics from his tone. I’ll be happier with a softer reed and a dirty martini sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,921 Posts
Never tried the Gregory's . What are the general design specs. ?

Chamber size, baffle shape and type, sidewall config. , etc ?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ironically, everyone thinks Desmond played quietly but when I heard him live he had quite a big sound that projected well in a very large hall, a good distance from the microphone. He was amazingly lyrical, and the timbre he produced was amazingly even throughout the range of the saxophone.

·
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not saying it's necessary that one purchase this mouthpiece to sound like PD, only that Erik G. did a good job of it on the video. For what it's worth I can get a decent Desmond on my Selmer Concept and my Lelandais Trompette. The Dry Martini seems nice, but it's a little too rich for my blood. I'll wait for a used one to pop up.
I can get pretty close with my Yamaha 4C, believe it or not.

·
Registered
Alto: 1969 Selmer Mark VI, Soprano: Yanagisawa S901II, Tenor: Conn Shooting Star
6 Posts
I jumped on this piece as soon as it came out. I’ve always been curious to try an MC Gregory Model A because I love Desmond’s tone. Gotta say, the Dry Martini is quickly becoming my favorite alto mouthpiece. I’ve been switching between a stock Meyer 5 and a Gale Custom for the past few months, and the Dry Martini is like the perfect happy medium between them. It’s the most flexible alto mouthpiece I’ve ever played. There’s no lack of projection either, which is something I was afraid of buying this since it’s marketed as a Paul Desmond thing. I have the .070 opening, which I believe is Morgan’s facing curve. Would be interesting seeing this piece compared with an MC Gregory. I just have my Gale which is similar but not quite the same.

-Tommy

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Wonder how it compares to the Phil-Tone Solstice--a really great piece for that Desmond tone.

·
3,164 Posts
FYI further info/clarification from the man himself….

Hi benn,
It's my design based on my personal mouthpiece, which is a modified woodwind b5. It's very close to the 4a18 Gregory. I have one of those to and prefer my own. At this point, I prefer the "dry martini". It's wonderfully machined from german bar stock rubber and after trial and error they absolutely got it right.
Full disclosure, this is not from the Gregory mold we acquired. That may be down the road, it's going to need some fairly involved repair, apparently it was Gregory's most used mold, not surprising. As to whether it's really close, I give it 99%. The 1 % may be improvement.
All that said, I've not had a chance to measure Paul's actual mouthpiece. I've tried to get access and still working on it.
I have an inside track but everyone is busy. I would say if you're curious its absolutely worth a try and fwiw, imo best served in a 4 or 5 with a reed in the 3 to 3.5 range. I'm using a jazz select 3.5 in the video clip and a 4 tip opening. On a 47 sba. Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers, erik

·
3,804 Posts
i had one of the original like desmonds and found it dark and stuffy . i gave it to a friend who loved it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts