Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Morgan Excalibur 7EL today from Junkdude. My first impression is that it completely and utterly kills every alto piece I've ever had. It's so easy to play and is so responsive. I've known guys that have used these for years and now that I have one, I can't believe I waited so long.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Yes, Morgans do indeed rock.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
The Excalibur was my first Morgan piece and I just couldn't dig it. I got a Morgan Jazz 6M, and THAT is the best HR piece ever. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
I gotta say that Ralph Morgan is without a doubt the most intelligent person on this planet who still sends glurge email. One of the hazards of the Greatest Generation surviving into the Information Age.

·
7,889 Posts
MojoBari said:
Then why were you looking for a rock mouthpiece? ;)
Because I'M INSANE!:twisted:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
MojoBari said:
OK Paul, what does "glurge" mean?
Google is our friend. From Word Spy:

glurge (GLURJ) n. A sentimental or uplifting story, particularly one delivered via e-mail, that uses inaccurate or fabricated facts; a story that is mawkish or maudlin; the genre consisting of such stories.

BTW Paul, can one also be ConnVex?

·
7,889 Posts
I have a question about the Excaliburs...they're the one Morgan variant that I've never played (Including the Bilger-Morgans from years ago). How much brighter are they than the standard Ms? They are supposed to be Ralph's answer to the Dukoffs of the world, but I can't imagine that a rollover and thinner sidewalls could possibly be as bright as your typical Berg/Dukoff/Guardala.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I've just got a 9E tenor piece. My first impressions are that it's the best tenor piece I've ever played and I've played and owned many of the boutique pieces in the 100/110 zone. I'd say it'll get out of the way and do what you want. It's a big fat rich controllable piece on my V1 with Superial reeds.
One of those pieces that comes along and ups the standard on all of one's horns.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have 5L and 5EL for tenor (I don't subscribe to macho mouthpieces) and get a very powerful sound from both. The L is a fatter sound and more flexble, the EL has its uses in a more limited range of music (for me, that is).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Michael,

It has to be said that I usually prefer darker pieces but in a modern fusion/rock setting I think this mouthpiece is very hard to beat. It responds extremely well throughout the range of the horn and has bags of projection. To my mind it's similar in tone to a JJ DV but less expensive of course. In fact, the weak Dollar rate makes Morgans incredible value at the moment for players in the U.K.

I like the feel of ebonite pieces and the Morgan is very comfortable indeed. The outer profile and beak angle are the same as my Meyer alto piece, so when I'm going between alto and tenor it requires no difference in embouchure whatsoever.

I'd like to try an L chamber, so may order one of those soon from JunkDude...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Morgan Excaliburs are GREAT

I just got hold of an Excalibur 8E Tenor from Junkdude after a 4 month wait.

My goodness, what a mouthpiece. It's fantastic and makes me want to practice more. Soooooo easy to hit the top and bottom of the horn with a lovely full tone :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
You're right and I was coming from a metal Link myself initially.

I've since got hold of an early Barone NY which I really like but cannot hit the high notes anywhere near as reliably as with the Excalibur. They are totally different animals of course but the Barone is more my cup of tea in terms of tone, so perhaps the Morgan L or possibly the EL may hold the answer for me.

However, I tend to play on the darker side of a piece anyway and the Morgan E is certainly beginning to grow on me more and more...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Tengu01 said:
I just got hold of an Excalibur 8E Tenor from Junkdude after a 4 month wait.

My goodness, what a mouthpiece. It's fantastic and makes me want to practice more. Soooooo easy to hit the top and bottom of the horn with a lovely full tone :)
Luckily I didn't have to wait as long as that but congratulations anyway - if it makes you want to play more, that really says it all !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts