Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone share experience with either or both of these, compare contrast?
And if anyone uses on 6M, please share your thought.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I personally don’t like the large chamber Morgans on alto, and I prefer the jazz model (thicker blank model) over the Excalibur. Having tried all the available chamber sizes over the years, I find the ML (now called New York model) to be the ideal combination of bright and dark for me. The medium is a bit too bright, the large too dark, at least for me. In general, on alto the Excalibur is thinner sounding (st least for me, your mileage may vary).

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
When I had a Conn 6M I used a Morgan 5M on it and quite liked it, but that was before I had any ML chambers. I do think the 6M played darker than my Selmers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There are currently 7 different Morgan Alto Pieces. Four different chambers and two different body shapes. Some models have been available since the early 1980s. The reason we continue to make all 7 is everybody is different in what they like. It really boils down to personal preferences and individual setup.

We understand it is difficult to choose without trying them so we offer a trial period of 10-days. We offer free shipping. There is a restocking fee; however, if you order several pieces to try and end up keeping one, then there is no restocking fee for anything returned.

We can typically point you in the right direction if you send an email to [email protected].

So, if you are curious, I would recommend trying a couple. The best option for one player, may not be the best for you.

Classical Model is the darkest of all and is available w/ Jazz facings for Jazz players looking for the darkest tone.
Jazz Model (Standard Body): Large Chamber is the darkest, NY Chamber similar to Meyer Bros Chamber, Medium Chamber is brightest (traditional bright tone)
Excalibur Model (Streamline Body): Large Chamber is the darkest, NY Chamber similar to Meyer Bros Chamber, Medium Chamber is brightest (traditional bright tone)

The Excalibur Models have a bit more edge / brightness than the Jazz Models.

We will be adding more alto pieces this Winter/Spring which will mostly be on the brighter end of the spectrum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts