Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

TL;DR: What reed would solve the buzziness in the upper notes of the lower octave (G1-C#2), and make the high range easier and thicker sounding (C3-F#3)?

Full text:

Last year I used a Morgan 3C for a few months, settled down on using it with Rico GCS 3.5 reeds, and really liked the excellent low note response, low resistance, thin beak, very loose embouchure, tonal flexibility (depending on the reed, something between bassoon, cello, and chainsaw, with various amounts of focus thrown in). However, the tone in the left hand notes of the lower octave was a tad buzzy - not much, but awfully annoying -, and though altissimo was fine, C3-F#3 were thin and hard to get without biting.

This made me switch to a Vandoren T25 which I heavily modified; by the time I was done with it, it was rather close to the 3C, without the aformentioned shortcomings, and a slightly sweeter more focused tone. The only problem I've had was C1-E1 jumping up an octave too easily, when playing at forte or higher dynamic levels. I partly managed to correct this too; however, the mouthpiece broke as the beak was by then too thin.

While I probably would manage the 3C's high notes better now, it's still probably too much work compared to the Soloist D I played before, which had an exceptionally good high range, but took too much effort to play overall - perhaps I would've liked a Soloist C* more, but the facings on the 2 I tried weren't as good.

Concerning the G1-C#2, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the culprit.

I do not own a 3C anymore, but I will probably buy a new one - or try some Vandorens, as I remember once trying a stock T25 I liked almost as much, and reading good things here about the T20; I guess it all depends on the following question:

To those who have already played a 3C, would some specific reed cut help with the issues I had? or perhaps simply moving to #4 strength; but I would have thought 3.5 would be enough, and that has been my preferred reed strength on every other decent small-tipped tenor mouthpiece I've tried yet. Or then again, could it have been a problem with my specific mouthpiece?

And generally speaking, if you have taken the time to adjust to a 3C, what was your experience with it? (don't forget to mention the reeds you were using)

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All right. I just read about using SOFTER reeds on these. Yet 3.5 felt plenty soft. I'm confused now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
And generally speaking, if you have taken the time to adjust to a 3C, what was your experience with it? (don't forget to mention the reeds you were using)
I played one for quite a while - and then dropped on its beak! When I had it fixed, it was opened to .088". I much prefer that and have been playing it (and another like it ) for about 12 years. I prefer Alexander DC 3 reeds.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answer - is this piece you're speaking about the one JVW repaired? I remember reading about it, but didn't know which reeds you used with it.

I'm not sure a 6C would work for me though - I really like small tips with hard reeds. Besides, I'll be playing mostly classical.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Jon Van Wie made the first one for me. I had Ed Zentera make another based on that one and he dialed the second one in even better.

I use mine mainly for classical as well but have found that I can use it elsewhere too. I love the tone and response and can get sufficient volume for most anything I need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts