Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I've been putting in many more practice hours on my saxes; specially Alto and Tenor. I have been concentrating (among other things) on keeping and nice loose embouchure. I been doing 1 1/2 to 3 hours per session. And I have to say my tone has really improved as of late, mostly on Alto.

But last night as I checked the tuning on the Alto with a chromatic tuner, I noticed that I have to push the mouthpiece way in, almost to maximum.

Should I be concerned? Is this an issue? Has anyone experienced this prroblem?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
.......And I have to say my tone has really improved as of late, mostly on Alto.

But last night as I checked the tuning on the Alto with a chromatic tuner, I noticed that I have to push the mouthpiece way in, almost to maximum.

Should I be concerned? Is this an issue? Has anyone experienced this prroblem?.....
Maybe you don't have a problem now, but instead had the problem before.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts

No, that's a good thing. It means you are relaxing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yeah, I'd be inclined to say you had a problem before. You should strive to 'play as flat as possible'. A loose embouchure does more, gives you a wider pitch window, and provides a tone much richer in overtones.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys. All these thoughts of my embouchure now being relaxed is a good thing. I thought so but felt it wouldn't hurt to have some confirmation.
Thank God and Harri for SOTW!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Thanks,
Thats where you mouthpiece should be, it means the saxophone will now be more in tune with itself as there is an optimum length from the tip of the mpc to the last tone hole for every sax. With your extra practice and using a relaxed embouchure you must be using your vocal tract more than you did before which will 'centre' your note pitches lower (better sound/tone/flexibility/everything)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts