Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking alot around on ebay. This is a second saxophone I found and was looking for advice.

"This is a 1928/29 Conn Silver Chu Berry Alto Saxophone.
It needs to be adjusted, and needs a lower C# pad but other than that is fine. All the corks are under a year old as well as the pads because he got them redone last November.

The pads are black SaxGourmet pads with silver resonators.

M1273XX

No springs or keys need to be replaced. Silver plate is at 99%- there is wear on the low d key that is unnoticeable unless you get really really close"

Ther's the gold wash on the inside, and its definately silver. Very good condition from the looks of it.

Also, no way to play before purchase.

It's sitting on $200! with 2.5 days left

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Twombles62,

Not much to go on mate. There's so many more questions need to be answered. The pics dont show a lot.
If you are keen on a Conn Alto, I know of a nice Tranny that might be available in Sydney. Are you looking to get a cheap horn to restore? A player?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just looking at some cheap vintage horns, getting interested in it.
The conns were the most available, cheap, possibly good quality horns i could find on ebay. I'm not exactly looking for a new horn to play as my number 1. I have quite a new YAS61II thats does the job well. I really couldn't do anything to restore, im young, very inexperienced, and know little about old horns.

I mean, if i could find a well enough quality horn for cheap like this one, it doesn't matter if i end up playing it alot, because it could always be sold later, probably at a higher price right?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I was like you, but don't concentrate on Conn's their are many great vintage horns other than Conns. That conn will go for past $300 in my opinion. Not inclulding shipping to Australia, if it comes from the U.S.
I would recomend looking for one in the local Pawn Shops.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Carbs,
by your own admission, you don't know SFA about buying a vintage horn.
It's decent of you to be so honest, but there's also much to be said for realising when you should just listen, rather than say "I don't know **** but I just thought I'd confuse the issue."

Twombles62,
If you are just looking for a beater or a back up, go ahead and have some fun. If you are looking to buy a horn in the hope that it will appreciate in value, I'd suggest you spend some time checking out the Vintage and Classic Car sites. Or the Art Investor sites. You'll find a lot of info on how to do your homework and sort out what's an investment and what's not. Apply those principles to hunting down a horn as an investment. If I had a dollar for every guy I know, that has had to sell a supposedly "collectable," "solid investment," car or horn, for far less money than was put into said car or hon, I'd be rich.
Like I said, if your just getting your feet wet and having a little fun, go ahead. Otherwise know your horns and your resale market. I've seen guys that know far more than I do, get seriously burned on buying and selling horns.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Considering that im pretty much asking so much in evaluating these saxes, as i have little ability to do it myself, until i can do some heavy reading, should i start a new thread if i wanna get a quick opinion on each sax?
I found this: A Martin Indiana in supposedly great condidion, played by semi pro
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Martin-...1QQihZ006QQcategoryZ16232QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A tenor 1970 16M Conn Shooting star:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1970-16M-CONN-S...ryZ16234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
opinions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Thats a new wonder series 1 horn , nice looking but needs regulating , the F,E and D keys are open too far etc
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts