Sax on the Web Forum banner

More effects pedal fun: tenor sax with "Organizer" octave pedal by EarthQuaker

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  HeavyWeather77 
#1 ·
Hey, gang! I made another video showing the use of a really delightfully gnarly effects pedal, the "Organizer" by EarthQuaker Devices, with saxophone.

I really, REALLY like this pedal.

This one sounds particularly great on saxophone, for my taste, and it's actually become a pretty crucial part of my saxophone effects rig for my band, Progger. I've been using it on all our shows this year and it's become a pretty important layer for some of the new compositions that will be on the new record we'll be doing this summer. This is definitely NOT an old-school sound, it's very much an intentionally quirky, progressive, non-subtle vibe, and it happens to be great for the kind of thing I do, but it won't be for everyone. That's kind of the charm of Earthquaker's stuff and part of why I like them so much: they have serious personality.

As always, I love talking about this stuff, so if anyone has questions about pedals, mics, signal path, signal control, or just how the hell to use any of this electronic gear at all, please feel free to hit me up via email or here on the forum. Cheers!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Fantastic! I've experimented a bit with a resonant sweep filter before and even rigged up a mic to my Arp Odyssey once. I like how that combo you've got there adds some depth and character to the sound beyond simple frequency shifting.
Thanks, EZ! Those two pedals alone make for rather a ton of sound options, so they're the main two I've been using on gigs lately, sax-wise. In my band I play both sax and keys and have pedals for both, so lately it's been the EarthQuaker Organizer and Space Spiral on the tenor and the MXR Carbon Copy and Envelope Filter on keys. With those four pedals on those two instruments there's no shortage of ammo.

The VocoLoco has been the real game-changer for me since it helps to regulate the signal so well. Plus, it's just a great sounding preamp and DI on its own. In the future I might end up incorporating a few more goodies (like the EQD Spacial Delivery, Pitch Bay, and/or Transmisser) but for now this little setup is working well.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
For gigs (or just in general)- do you put your pedals on a board like some guitar players do?
I used to have a dedicated pedalboard but things have been so fluid lately that I've just been spending the time to set everything up at each gig... a bit of a pain in the butt but the engineer in me enjoys doing it. However, things are getting more stable in my rig so I'm going to put a pedalboard together this month to help speed up setup and teardown times. Along with the pedals themselves, the board will have my DI/preamp (the VocoLoco, which is amazing) and my wireless receiver for my mic (which is an older AMT Roam Elite 1). And power, of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.