Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an interesting horn come into the shop from a trade. In one of my weaker moments (times are hard) I took in a Montgomery-Ward silver plated tenor in excellent shape cosmetically but needing a full o'haul. Needless to say, I didn't allow much for it.

My techs and I agree that it appears to be a Buescher Series I Aristocrat with some changes. It actually has some up-scale features like gold wash in the bell and nice engraving.

Kind of unusual, never seen one before. Has a left pinkie table similar to Martinmod's avatar. I'll try to post some pix but no promises.

Musical instrument Shoe Wind instrument Brass instrument Reed instrument
Musical instrument Human body Brass instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument
Drinkware Barware Wood Cylinder Tints and shades

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only way we have been able to gather any information, like for instance that it dates from about 1935, is through on-line scans of old Montgomery-Ward catalogues. The serial number means little. I might just hang on to it. I abound in silly notions like that.

SG

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,654 Posts
The stencils I have seen that were made for Montgomery Wards and Sears seem to be some of the best (which is not what I would have guessed). Some of the Conn stencils for Sears even had the microtuner. I'm not sure if they ever had RTH. It's odd that the Wards and Sears stencils sometimes had "high end" features on their stencils that were not on the big music store stencils (Gretsch, Lyon & Healy, etc.).

Buescher did leave a few things off of this stencil. Probably no norton springs or snap-in pads. Not a big deal. This horn has the TrueTone series IV LH pinky table with only the roller on the G# missing. The key guards aren't as fancy as it's Aristocrat line and the side E touch isn't curved. Minor changes that still make this one a very aristocratic monkey wards.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts