Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently started noticing a problem with my reeds that's not necessarily harming my sound, it's just something i need to know more about. On the back the of the reed that I was playing earlier today, there is mold, specifically in the place where the reed is on the table of the mouthpiece, and absolutely nowhere else. Please help me out, I have no idea what could be causing this.

Also, sorry if this topic was posted before, but I couldn't find it anywhere in my search.
I use Vandoren ZZ 2 1/2 and the mouthpiece I play on is a vintage Otto Link 6*.

Thanks for any help! :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Are you leaving your reed on your mouthpiece or throwing them in a jar or humidifier? Every now and then (about a month or so) I throw mine in some sugar free mouthwash or a heavily diluted water/peroxide solution and let it soak for a bit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are you sure that what you have is mold? You have probably mold if it is black - if this is the case, just store reeds dry between playing. Another possibility is that you have verdigris, which is green. Verdigris is formed when brass corrodes. This can occur when the protective plating on brass (you didn't say whether you piece is HR or metal) mouthpieces is damaged or partly missing. If you have verdigris, have your piece replated or throw it away, as verdigris is toxic.

Regards Bo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone, to answer a few questions yes it is a metal Otto Link, gold plated. Yes I do store my reeds in a container with a humidifier pack. Hopefully that extra info helps

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I've stored my reeds on a basic plastic reed guard for years and never had any issues. I don't leave them on the mouthpiece when I'm not playing.

Do you keep your mouthpiece clean? I probably wash mine with warm soap and water about weekly or at least a few times a month (I don't play every day or it would definitely be at least weekly).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.