Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the 5/9/11 Time Magazine, Health and Science.

"442 types of bacteria, including staph, found along with molds, yeast in high school instruments..."

Everyone clean your mps today!

Craig

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
If people were dropping like flies from playing high school band instruments, I would be alarmed.

I would think that someone with a compromised immune system would be cautious about everything, including instruments.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If people were dropping like flies from playing high school band instruments, I would be alarmed.

I would think that someone with a compromised immune system would be cautious about everything, including instruments.
What about the cold that didn't go away or the lingering cough? Could be brought on by contact with certain bacteria like the ones that reside in your horn.

BTW how is it that trumpet and trombone players just toss their horns into the case and head out while the sax players are staying behind, swabbing out their horns. There has to be some nasty stuff lurking inside those brass.

RM

·
Registered
711 Posts
Anyone have a link to the whole article?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
The world is awash with microbial life. Get over it. Unless you are using your horn for food preparation it really doesn't matter.

(and on a not unrelated note, if you ever find yourself about to buy a product which promises to kill bacteria in your toilet ... ask yourself how often you lick the darn thing, and if the answer is anything short of 'frequently', buy something cheaper and spend the money you save on reeds).

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The Cancer Council of Australia now advises us that "just one alcoholic drink a day can cause cancer".
I've decided to keep on drinking, but I'll note which drink gives me the cancer so that I can avoid that one the next time around.......

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,795 Posts
The world is awash with microbial life. Get over it. Unless you are using your horn for food preparation it really doesn't matter.

(and on a not unrelated note, if you ever find yourself about to buy a product which promises to kill bacteria in your toilet ... ask yourself how often you lick the darn thing, and if the answer is anything short of 'frequently', buy something cheaper and spend the money you save on reeds).
It's more awash in microbial life in some of my 4th grade students mouthpieces that's for sure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone have a link to the whole article?
there was no article. just a small filler paragraph in the magazine in their health and science section. the rest of the text was just a suggestion that we should sterilize and clean our mps and instruments.

Craig

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Well, it's just good practice to keep the horn clean. For the life of the horn and pads and for developing your true sound. It's like setups to me. I can't tell you how many guys have complained about their horns to me and I ask - when was the last time you cleaned it or had it in to the tech for a once over only to find out the thing leaks like crazy - needs half a dozen bads and smells like an elephants tail. Yep, sure enough they get it all spiffy again and it's like they bought a new horn.

Treat your horn like your teeth should be treated and all will be well. (Notice I said "should").

·
Registered
525 Posts
If I don't wash my mouthpiece after playing and let it lie around for a day or two, there's literally a film of bacteria culture over the rubber. Usually about a milimeter thick and have to scrape it off.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
How does one floss a horn? :)

What would you recommend for cleaning a saxophone? Something beyond swabbing it out after playing?
Actually, I try to hit it with a pipe cleaner in the octave pips and even get a swabbing into the tone holes as well as around the posts and under the rods. ;)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
What about the cold that didn't go away or the lingering cough? Could be brought on by contact with certain bacteria like the ones that reside in your horn.

BTW how is it that trumpet and trombone players just toss their horns into the case and head out while the sax players are staying behind, swabbing out their horns. There has to be some nasty stuff lurking inside those brass.

RM
If you have a cough that won't go away, I would look for things in your environment. If your immune system works, you won't get sick.

I rarely swab my horn out. I just clean the mouthpiece. I've been playing for 45 years (started when I was 10) in October, and other than the 40 extra lbs. and the fact that I smoked cigarettes for 25 of the 45 years, I'm in pretty good health.

I think the main factor in good health is to be very careful in your choice of parents.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Yeah as long as you don't lick the inside of your horn you'll be fine. Let's face it, if all bacteria were a real concern nobody would ever have sex again. The human body is covered inside and out by them.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
When did we humans get so risk averse, anyway?

I think about people that collect toys and never unwrap them or play with them. They have a collection, but the toy never gets used. What's the point of living that way?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts