Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still on the hunt for a bass flute upgrade.

Anyone have any experience with Moennig Bass Flutes.

I was contacted about one for sale. Don't know all the particulars yet other than it has soldered tone holes and a split E and what appear to be "adler wings" on each side of the headjoint opening

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I sometimes played the moenning bassflute of my university. It was hard to get the low notes, but I do not remember, if it was setup well (propably not).

Michael, why do you think, it's a flute built by jaeger? I know, that jaeger followed werner wetzel in the workshop of music hieber in munich/germany. These hieber flutes are great basses (i own a wetzel and tested a jaeger)! But did jaeger also work for moenning?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My Robert Dick emerson Bass flute has been set up by my tech and its loud and clear and awesome all the way down to the lowest notes

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This bass flute has soldered tone holes (not solid silver body), split E mechanism and rollers on the foot keys. don't know the age but the serial number I think is the 179.xxx range. Headjoint has the "adler" type wings on either side of the embouchure hole. It is described as in mint condition. Does anyone know the list price of these flutes new? The asking price is $4500 any thoughts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,036 Posts
WWBW was selling these off about 8 years ago for around $1,450 as I recall. That price is a bit too much I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,004 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Does anyone know the list price of these flutes new? The asking price is $4500 any thoughts.
I have had a bass (with winged lipplate) and an alto (with two headjoints, reform and normal) , liked them a lot although I am not a flute player . I sold the bass (without trills ) for 1600€ and the alto for 1000€ I would say that 4500$ is way too much!

this is the company email [email protected], they don't mAke flutes anymore but when they did they were around 3000€ new

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
the person who bought my alto (a player in one of the major Dutch orchestras) had an Armstrong and preferred my Mönning.

We really have very few bass flutes around these parts and they are very rare on the second hand market . Mönning flutes were definitely among the few affordable brands of the past which one could find in Europe.

These days there are plenty of brands around (but still few bass flute players!) and many Chinese flutes perform as well, or outperform a '70 model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts