Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if any techs here have ever altered the curve of a tenor neck.

It would only have to be by a few millimetres upwards (the current angle points slightly downwards) so not a drastic change.

If you have successfully (or unsuccessfully) carried this out, I would very much like to have some pointers on materials and techniques used (or not to use!).

Can I add that I am aware of the dangers of doing so and that before trying this on the neck in question I have a disposable neck to try it on.

If you feel this is too dangerous to post openly, feel free to PM me: you will not be held responsible for any loss, damage or injury! :mrgreen:

Thank you! M.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
This is a common operation - many tenor necks get "pulled down" over the years, and then corrected. I think the basic operation looks like putting the neck into the horn and heaving, but the actual details of what you do and don't do to prevent real serious damage or breakage - that falls under "craft" and is going to be largely a matter of feel, dexterity, and experience - not easy to communicate by words.

If you hand me a saw and a plank, I can make a good clean straight perpendicular cut as fast as my arm can go up and down. Take someone who's never used a handsaw before and their results will not be good. That's because of the 50+ years I've been doing this - that's "craft".

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ken Beason, notable tech in the US, grabs the end with his bare hands and pulls.

At the factory, they fill a tube with soapy water and freeze, then bend. The frozen water keeps the diameter constant and sides from deforming as you bend. But since you're wanting to undo the side deformation, I wouldn't recommend this approach. You want the sides to pull back in to their original shape.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
I am thinking about doing this with a Serie II tenor neck. You may want to consider a brass tech that is skilled at bending brass tubes. In theory they would have more experience bending brass. It depends on where on the neck you want to bend it, because it will start messing with tuning and voicing if bent in the wrong spot. I bought a second Selmer Serie II neck to bend, as well as as a cheapo neck to ruin if necessary.

In my case I want to bend the neck up before the pip from the mouthpiece and end. I have a mock up neck I made from thick wire used for hanging laundry. The wire has plastic covering. It helps to locate the right angle in theory. I am still thinking about it, as the second Selmer Serie II neck I bought new and it is expensive.

I just want to add I am not a sax or brass tech and my neck angle change will probably be about 12 degrees up. I will not be doing it myself. I do agree that a few degrees bend could be done by a competent sax tech with the proper experience.. For my area and what I want I favour the brass tech, but there are sax techs competent to do it.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Personally I'd look into moving the neck strap hook first, before mocking with neck shape. A much less risky proposition.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you: my question is not about correcting a pull down, I know how to handle that.

To be more specific I would like to change the curve between mouthpiece and octave pip to improve my posture while playing.

So my question still stands: would anyone who has approached this be willing to share experiences, materials or techniques?

Thank you!
M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Selmer Prelude TS700

(sighs of relief?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts