Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an Oleg front F for my Mk6 tenor. This key did not suit me but today a Selmer Series3 alto came to me for service. The front F key would be easily fit my Mk6 alto with hardly any modifications. The shaft appeared to the same and the key actually sits on in the right place. For someone who plays harmonics a lot this key is much more efficient than the normal mk6 front f.
Has anyone done the same mod on a Mk6 Tenor? Does anyone have a Selmer Series 3 of Series 2 tenor front F key that they would sell me?
cheers
Ross

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I've made these for 10m's on a number of occasions. You just need a barrel-(hinge tubing) and some 3/16"x1/2" brass stock for the touchpiece file the shape your're happy with, silver solder to barrel and you have a 'modern' aux. high F.Buff and polish and substitute for existing pearl type.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Ditto on what Bopity Funk said.

You could try ordering a new key from a series 2 or 3 but in my experience, ordering from the Selmer distributor in the UK - takes an eternity for spare parts to arrive I waited 5 months for a threaded brace nut for a selmer paris SA 80 baritone afetr a month I ended up making it ( the customer paid) and I can dial the selmer rep direct!

Here's one I made earlier for a customers 10M conversion. (prior to it being plated) http://www.myspace.com/griff136/photos/22757369#{"ImageId":22757369}

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your input.
Nice work griff136.
I also have an early Yamaha 62 tenor as back up. I prefer the angle of the series 3 front f lever. It really suits my arthritic hands. As I am in Australia, I will try to order a new one from Selmer. I will keep you informed how I go.
cheers
Ross

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
Why not leave the MK VI original and get a modern tenor with the teardrop front F?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi 1saxman,
Not a bad idea but I played my Mk6 alto against a very good Series 3 Alto today. Series 3 is much brighter and not as rich. I switched necks and the Mk6 sounded like the Series3. Most interesting. The mechanics were the same.
The whole idea is to make a key that works on my Mk6 Tenor. The old key can be replaced back at any time. A lot cheaper than forking out for another horn.
cheers
Ross

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ross[/QUOTE]
OK I managed to get a front F for a SA 80 series2 from Selmer. It took a couple of months to get to Australia but it happened.
Other that shortening the tube at the bottom it was a perfect fit. I have since modified it to suit my needs i.e changing the angle slightly. It works a dream and is much quicker now that the old key. The old key can go back at any time. I have tried to upload a photo.
cheers
Ross McIntyre View attachment 31609

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ross, where did you order the F key from? Was it directly from Selmer and if so, what was the procedure?
I tried to get it direct from Selmer. As I am in Australia they directed me to the Australian Importer/Agent, Musiclink in Melbourne who were happy to oblige. I also got one for my Mk6 Alto for which I have not done yet. I don't use it for harmonics on Alto. I am foremost a tenor player.
They were about $35.00 Aus each which included freight. I doubt if you could make one at that price.
I knew that it would take some time to get them, so I am really happy all around with the result.
cheers

Ross
www.saxman.com.au

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi 1saxman,
Not a bad idea but I played my Mk6 alto against a very good Series 3 Alto today. Series 3 is much brighter and not as rich. I switched necks and the Mk6 sounded like the Series3. Most interesting. The mechanics were the same.
Interesting - if you put the mark vi neck on the series 3 does it sound like the Vi ?

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
You might try a Yanagisawa or Yamaha key or a key from a Chinese horn. Nobody would cry if you filed or bent it to fit. There is always some discussion on here about buying Chinese horns because you can get spare parts. (I never quite understood that argument).
I'm so used to hitting the edge of the pearl on my horns that changing the key might throw me but I like the idea.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
I'm so used to hitting the edge of the pearl on my horns that changing the key might throw me but I like the idea.
I have the same issue on my T100. The F key is real close to the B and I find myself hitting it frequently. I do not have this issue on the Super 20 as there is more space between the keys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts