Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a GLXD14/98 system a few weeks ago and found a used PSM200 in-ear monitor to give a try. I've been using it at home and really like how simple the setup is but don't like that each system has it's own big case. So I took out most of the foam internals out of the GLXD case and re-cut/glued foam pieces back in as needed. Now I have a setup that travels together in the same case with a nice fit so things aren't moving around, and super simple to setup at a gig. Second picture is how I have it all packed. The transmitter for the mic is in a lower compartment and the receiver for the earbuds is on top of it, separated by a thin foam piece. Third picture is the system set up for use. The second yellow cable coming in from the bottom left of the third picture would be the line out to main board and the two power cables are in the top left. Adding an outlet splitter, all I'll have to do is plug in one power cord and the XLR out to main board. If I have my own monitor mix, I just plug that feed into the other input of the bottom unit and I'm good to go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
I got the same two systems. Do you only use the signal from the GLXD receiver as monitor. Or do you also get a monitor mix signal from the sound engineer?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the GLXD all the time as a wireless mic. From there it goes into the PSM200. The PSM passes the signal out the back to the main board. If the monitor mix is being shared, or if there is no dedicated horn monitor, then the PSM earbuds are used solely so I can ensure to hear myself and I let the other guys use the provided monitor however they want. If I get my own monitor mix, then I run it into the other input on the PSM. So I have a general band mix on one input of the PSM, and my sax feed from the GLXD on the other so I can adjust as needed.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
Alex, Thanks for sharing. That is a great idea! I've been using the same type of set-up for years but have it in a much heavier Gator rack case with the PSM and PDX receivers/transmitters velcro'ed to a space tray. It is handy having the exterior pocket on the Gator case to carry batteries/cords but I can see where converting to what you have here to knock off a lot of weight on the rig and even more portable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Alex, Thanks for sharing. That is a great idea! I've been using the same type of set-up for years but have it in a much heavier Gator rack case with the PSM and PDX receivers/transmitters velcro'ed to a space tray. It is handy having the exterior pocket on the Gator case to carry batteries/cords but I can see where converting to what you have here to knock off a lot of weight on the rig and even more portable.
I always wondered why the Shure cases are so bulky....I just stuff everything in the outside pocket of my Protec case for most walk-ons

For more involved and multi-instrument gigs, I use a DSLR camera bag. They're light, compartmentalized, padded, and can be opened from the side or top. I really like the top opening for extra reeds, batteries, sunglasses, etc., that might be needed quickly on stage during the gig.

A lot of stuff I do doesn't require the in-ears either so I can just leave the whole thing in the bag.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
I always wondered why the Shure cases are so bulky....I just stuff everything in the outside pocket of my Protec case for most walk-ons

For more involved and multi-instrument gigs, I use a DSLR camera bag. They're light, compartmentalized, padded, and can be opened from the side or top. I really like the top opening for extra reeds, batteries, sunglasses, etc., that might be needed quickly on stage during the gig.

A lot of stuff I do doesn't require the in-ears either so I can just leave the whole thing in the bag.
Fader, I was referring to my Gator 4 space rack unit case, not the Shure case. I've never used the Shure case since I've got it all installed into the Gator rack but believe it or not the Shure case would be a lot lighter and take up even less room than the Gator case. The Shure case is overkill for carrying around just the wireless mic rig alone, but I think it would be great for utilizing the wireless mic and IEM rig too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts