Sax on the Web Forum banner
161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Holton 273 Bari from ebay, sn 348516. Rough horn, but hey--finally found a 273!

That gives us the entire Holton Baritone range from 270-274.

·
1,477 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Holton 273 Bari from ebay, sn 348516. Rough horn, but hey--finally found a 273!
...That gives us the entire Holton Baritone range from 270-274.
Congrats, geauxsax! :)

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Silver 465 alto, sn 119466. I only got one small pic, as the rest were on Auctiva, and I couldn't download them. The rest are on the ebay ad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-HOLTON-19...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335cd84d82

Beautiful, but pricey little horn. I'd like to know what Holton's thoughts were on how this alto compared to the 230 series in their production hierarchy.
The thirties were a decade of new orientation and experimentaion. Experimentation concerning marketing strategy rather than completely new design.

I understand the 'Ideal' as being appropriated as a new intermediate or second line model between the RES-O-Tone and the 'Collegiate' (student horn). We are speaking about terms of marketing not built or sound quality. The construction does not basically differ from the 'COLLEGIATE II', except pinky cluster and front F, which was introduced on the Collegiate from the mid thirties, too.

·
1,477 Posts
Thanks for the info, Felix!

How about this Bari? Big brass 271. if the low end if anything like my Revelation or 241, whoa! I plan on getting one when I move back to the States in about a year (don't want to have to ship it overseas).
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLTON-BARITONE...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f1f58f22

I was playing my 241 today with a Morgan 6M and fibracell, and while it has a few leaks and takes a bit of effort down low, that horn really has some power, and the ergos are nice as well. Some new pads and oversize resos, and it will really be a monster.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
Hello- I have a Holton res-O-tone Model 214 tenor, which i have restored and played for over a year. I have mentioned before how many times I have refused to sell it or trade it for high end tenors. I have seen a few altos on Ebay, but have never even heard of the tenor model, besides my own. Is there another one around? I'm thinking the tenor is extremely rare, as mine was built in 1939. By 1940, many companies in the US had started war production for the allies and US. I wonder if only a few were made, then production was stopped. The horn's extreme ornateness must have added considerable production time. Players who have tried it prefer it over vintage Selmers and Conns. I wonder if the bore/taper, etc is different from the model 241.
thanks for any knowledge anyone can contribute on "my baby".

·
1,477 Posts
Finally--a Holtons 234 "Stratodyne" alto seen on ebay, selling for $245. on 31 AUG 2010.

This is one of two altos Holton made (the 232 is the other) with right side bell keys.

The only other reference to a 234 I've ever seen is the Holton ad below (previously posted).

·
1,477 Posts
Another beautiful "modern vintage" Holton--a 232 from Craigslist, listed for $499. As with above, note right side bell keys.

·
1,477 Posts
Holton Fans,
I'm updating the "Modern Vintage" Holton list--if you have horn pics and/or info (including at least first three s/n digits) it would be appreciated.

What is a "Modern Vintage" Holton? Basically, a horn from around the 40's forward.
--For altos, these would be the 230 series, 465s, 201 (???--only heard about these, never seen a pic), 566s, etc. .
--For tenors, 240 series, 475, etc series, 577 (576?), etc. . .
--For Baris, 270 series horns, 4XX series?, Collegiate baris--5XX? (never seen one either)
--For sops--??? Anyone have a post-Revelation sop? There are models listed in a previously posted ad, but that's all the info I have.

What "Modern Vintage" Holtons are not:
Revelations (Elkhorns)
Beauforts
Rudy Wiedoefts
215 baris, 213 and 214 (Resotone) Tenors
Resotone (204?) altos
Late Japanese stencils (YAS-23)

Thanks,
Geauxsax

·
1,477 Posts
There's a nice 201 alto on ebay right now. After finally seeing pics of this one, it belongs to the older more classic grouping of horns (20s-30s) rather than the "Modern Vintage" horns of this thread. I'll post about in in the Holton Serial Number registry thread instead.

·
1,477 Posts
OK Holton fans: Here's the Baritone member of the rare "Ideal" family (4XX series). This one sold for USD $660 27 Sep 2010. Ad said model # 460 (looks like "480" to me in pics), sn 114491. Seller says nickel plated.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
400 Posts
Just finished restoring my 1940 Holton baritone- it looks similar to the above model and has 3 octave keys. One for the D to G in the traditional place on the body, and one on the top of the upper loop (pictured above) for A to C, and one one the neck which raises for the palm keys. This is very effective, as the horn does not blow the unwanted overtones that plague baritones and basses. It took many months of de-denting and re-plating some keys, but this silver horn is very nice looking. It is an amazing player. I sold my Chu Berry Conn Bari right away. It has an even fuller sound than the Conn, which I never thought possible and a penetrating upper end with a Runyon 88 (Conn Comet) M.P. As I've preached before, it's a shame that Holton never spent much $$ pushing its saxophones to the pro market, as I have switched over to Holton for all horns except a bass and curved soprano, neither of which they ever made. I always get compliments on the intonation and overall sound of these horns from noted players who are surprised by the "tinny-sounding Yugo of the saxophones" Holtons. Our advantage is that the prices have stayed lower on Holtons because few players know of them. We are the chosen few- Hey let's start a cult around a heavenly image of Frank Holton, who died for our horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,556 Posts
Thanks for the update on your baritone. It seems like quite a player. Is yours silver plate or nickel? And as to Geauxsax's question, is it model 480 or 460?

·
400 Posts
I carefully inspected the baritone- It only has a serial #-139683. No other #s, although the front of the bell is engraved "U.S." so the horn must have been "drafted" after it was built. I doubt that the military would order what was a more complicated design horn, with the triple octave system, so my guess is that Holton sold some existing stock and put US on them. Every ship of any larger size, Army and Marine units all had bands, not counting the thousands of regular musicians who joined or were drafted and wound up in US sponsored dance bands who constantly toured and were frequently under fire. I have a friend who was strafed in the band truck, killing one player and shooting up many instruments. That reminds me- don't ever date a girl named Pearl Harbor.

·
7,556 Posts
I just finished re-reading this whole thread and have some thoughts.

From what I have gathered, following the 231s, the 232s moved the keys to the RH side. The 233s then moved them back to the LH side again. Not sure what Holton was up to.
You seem to have figured out from the serial numbers that 231 and 232 were sold concurrently. But why the change of bell keys? Maybe Holton had a stock of previously manufactured (older) 230 body that they didn't want to waste, so used them for the 231. Perhaps the 232 was priced higher than the 231.

I have some lingering questions though that I need help with…. Toneholes; I'm not sure they were ever drawn on any Holton models…
I just looked closely at a "modern vintage" Holton alto. The tone holes sure look drawn to me, not soldered.

Your question about soft soldered holes versus silver soldered holes was answered, but I want to add that silver-soldered tone holes are considered to be better quality. There are many posts about brazed toneholes in the King area.

·
7,556 Posts
I noticed in your photos of the 230, the left hand thumbrest is the same as on the Stratodyne model 234. Did all 230s have this thumb rest? These are reminiscent of the SML rocking thumb rest but in Holton's case, don't actually swivel.

230 Alto Photos added (post #150):

·
400 Posts
Hello- Nice to be back in computer land. I bought a Model #232 alto off EBay. It is in nice condition with the original case and the serial #173--- puts it around 1947. I installed nylon resonator pads (the original pads had tiny metal resonators on them, which were not very effective) and this horn really speaks with a brilliant high end and a husky (for an alto) low end. By 1947, the big band era was changing from the smooth swing bands to a new, edgy, often very loud sound, such as the Stan Kenton or Woody Herman bands, with much more aggressive players than the 1930s saw. The Holton 232 fits that sound perfectly even with the original mouthpiece. A Runyon 88, which was getting popular at this time gives the horn a nice edge. I sold it to a student who loves it. It puts the Chinese horns to shame in his middle school jazz band. Don Menza recalls a few players who played Holtons in the 1950s and they were respected, but have always remained an unknown. The only significant advertising to the pro player I have seen is for the Rudy models way back in 1929. Their trumpets, trombones, and especially the Holton-Farkas French horn were world class, but for some reason, Holton never promoted their saxophones to the pro market.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hi,
would like to share with you pictures of my "230" alto silver plated from '41 I will sell soon... (forget the "Belmonte" mpc I will include to the sale :))
Lot of pictures here
If you notice something different from other 230 altos, let me know!
P S - I was so impressed by this horn regarding the build, the comfortable keywork, the sound and some touch of design too
Automotive lighting Gas Metal Automotive design Automotive exhaust Drinkware Barware Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Drink Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument Music Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument Musical instrument Gas Auto part Musical instrument accessory Woodwind instrument

161 - 180 of 188 Posts