·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,542 Posts
Thanks! Will be added to list.
It's great that you made this list. Between you and LaPorte, we'll soon have the complete history of Holton saxophones. Do you want us to notify you about modern vintage Holtons on eBay, or are you looking everyday?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Thanks! Will be added to list.
It's great that you made this list. Between you and LaPorte, we'll soon have the complete history of Holton saxophones. Do you want us to notify you about modern vintage Holtons on eBay, or are you looking everyday?
Soy,
I look most of the time, but any help is appreciated!

Also, if anyone sees any errors or omissions in the list, please let me know.

·
1,477 Posts
French ebay 270 with unique engraving, as mentioned in an earlier thread:

sn 130692

·
1,477 Posts
274 Bari from french ebay. Very late serial number!

sn 462075. Also note unique engraving versus rest of 2XX series.

·
1,477 Posts
OK guys: What's this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Holton-SilverTe...in_0?hash=item4a9b222f28&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

Note: Engraving similar to 270 bari a few posts up (post 146 this thread), and about 10K numbers off for s/n. The "472" scrawled on it near the n/s intrigues me--was that originally on it somewhere else? We never got the model number off the other tenor that was assumed to be the equivalent to the 465 alto (s/n 122397) earlier in this thread (post 111). Maybe a 472, instead of the 475 that we guessed???:? Similar build to the 465 alto and the (475?) Tenor too.

Pics:

·
1,477 Posts
The only pics we have of a "suspected" 475 (?) tenor-no model number or s/n was given in the ad though.

·
7,542 Posts
Geauxsax, some really good work here. Thanks for posting. That tenor is intriqueing.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
The '577' shows an astonishing consistency to earlier models which reaches back to the early COLLEGIATE II model of the beginning thirties.

·
1,477 Posts
The '577' shows an astonishing consistency to earlier models which reaches back to the early COLLEGIATE II model of the beginning thirties.
Agreed, Felix. It also seems to share a lot with 243 tenors, at least from the pics.

edit: while a beautiful horn, it is a refinish--not exactly the "time capsule" I thought. I says it clearly in the ad--I just missed it originally. Still--looks like it was done well. I was looking at it again because I realized I had never seen a 566 or 577 without nickel-plated keys, as this one.

·
1,477 Posts
Finally,
I found some pics of the 240 tenor. Serial number is 130820. No surprise, it has elements of the late Revelation ("Rev III")/213 tenors and the 241 tenors. IMHO, It has obviously been refinished, and I can't make out the engraving. I wonder about the color scheme--I haven't observed any lacquer body/nickel key examples this early with regard to Holton. Perhaps a silver horn that was stripped and lacquered while leaving the keys silver (???), or maybe relacquered and had the keys plated (???).

·
7,542 Posts
Maybe a lacquer expert can chime in here. I can't say if those keys are silver or nickle. It's interesting that the bottom rail on the bow is also not brass.

·
1,477 Posts
The keys seem to have the "white cloudiness" my later student horns (e.g. my Bundy II and my King 615 and 613 Cleveland) get. What finish are their keys? Nickel, or lacquered nickel, or??? My other horns that I know have bare silver don't do that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
My Res-O-Tone tenor model 214 (have never seen or heard of another one) dates from 1939, around the time of the above tenor. It has the little roller bearing on the F to Bb arm and the very robust brass casting holding the octave key on the neck. the only difference I see is the very ornate key guards on all the bottom-end keys on my tenor, a fleur-de-lis design. The keys are solid nickel alloy, which polished up beautifully. Oddly, someone in the past took the horn apart and sprayed orange lacquer over the keys. this couln't have been a factory job, as it did not match the body, was runny, and some of the lacuer was on the original resonator pads. i stripped the old key lacquer, which had kept the nickel quite nice. As on all nickel keys, they need light polishing every year or so to keep a mirror-like shine. Two pros made me trade offers for this horn, one a King Super 20 and the other was a Selmer S. 80. Did I trade? NO. This is the best tenor I have ever played, with the ability to whisper or blast. i use an early (1950) Runyon Conn Comet mouthpiece with a 3 1/2 reed. My 10M went on EBay the same day I finished restoring this Holton. Most people who try it are astounded by the intonation using a variety of neweror older style mouthpieces. i am planning a Youtube show of Holtons. Hope I can find a good musician to demo.

141 - 160 of 188 Posts