Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 188 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,617 Posts
OK--I answered one of my questions already.

Apparently there was a 244 Tenor, as well as a 234 Alto (referred to as "Stratodynes")
Well, you answered one of my questions too. I always wondered about the Stratodyne. Now we know it and the model 244 are the same thing. Your photo looks like right-hand bell keys on the alto and left on the tenor. Anybody played a Stratodyne? We could call it a "Strat" for short. No one has ever used that nick-name for a musical instrument.;)

By the way, Ross Gorman played with the Paul Whiteman orchestra and performed the Rhapsody in Blue with George Gershwin. (pretty good credentials.)

OK Holton fans,
We need to assemble some info on the "newer" Holtons--we seem to be doing well on the older ones!
If no one has an objection, can we define Modern Vintage Holtons as ones made after World War II, i.e. after 1946?

·
7,617 Posts
I just realized Saxpics has some photos of a Stratodyne alto. Is it okay to post photos here from Saxpics, or are they copyright?

·
7,617 Posts
:cool:Warning: off topic

Geauxsax, I typed Cities Service Band into Google, and guess what? It was a famous band who had a TV series and made records circa 1949-1956. There is more information on this tuba website:http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11427

Note that Joe Allard was in the clarinet section!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts

·
1,477 Posts
If no one has an objection, can we define Modern Vintage Holtons as ones made after World War II, i.e. after 1946?
Soybean,
I think of "Modern Vintage" Holtons as beginning with the 230/240/270 series--not sure exactly when they came out though, except that we have the 231 ad from 1942 on the previous page.

·
1,477 Posts
OK--here' a strange one, at least to me: somebody mentioned these on an earlier thread, but this is (by description) a Japanese-made Holton. I'm not very up to speed on Japanese saxes, but with that distinctive keyguard, I figure somebody should be able to ID the manufacturer fairly easily. I wish there were more pictures, but no luck.

Serial number: 032959

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,321 Posts
It's a Yamaha and the same on that they labeled Vito. In some cities where there was a big Leblanc (Vito) dealer, they would sell Holtons or Martins that were the same horn but kept the exclusive Vito name with the large dealer.

·
7,617 Posts
Yes, that sure looks like a Yamaha keyguard. I have a photo of another Japanese Holton around here that i will post if i can find it.

·
1,477 Posts
OK Holton fans,
We need to assemble some info on the "newer" Holtons--we seem to be doing well on the older ones!:D

Our Holton bretheren from yesteryear have a fairly good start with this thread, so I figure we might as well continue it.

Additionally, these models (the 240 series tenors specifically) seem to garner very good reviews, even factoring in the "Holton avoidance factor" that seems to plaque the horns.

Did bell keys shift side from the 241 to 243?
The LH spatulas on 241 and 243s are noticeably different.
Was there a 240? A 242? A 244?
Does anyone own a 270 series Bari?
What was the Soprano equivalent? Was there one?
What finishes did this era of horns come in?
When/what model did Holton stop soldering tone holes on (vice drawing)?
Were the 566 Tenor Collegiates and 576(?) Altos closely related models or not?

Lot's of questions--If you have one of these saxes, tell us about it, and post a pic!
Got a partial answer on tone holes (soldered vs drawn): My new Holton 232s (Thanks Soybean!) altos have drawn holes.

Holton sure didn't skimp on metal though: those little altos are very heavily built. The ergos, while not modern, are a huge improvement over the earlier horns too. They have the LH pinky cluster like Hafuch's tenor (above). I'll post some pics later. sn's 176201 and 192072.

·
1,477 Posts
Riddle me this Holton fans:

How about this tenor from ebay? I'm not questioing the auction at all--seems fine to me. I'm just curious about the model and how it fits with other models. It says it is a 243--and appears to back it up with a pic of the sn (model # above sn--maybe it says 213 instead though???). But the sn is significantly earlier than my 232 altos (would think their sn's would be contemporary with 242 tenors, right?) The horn (but not neck) looks like a 24X eries horn, but the engraving style and the neck are more akin to earlier models like Revelations. The LH pinky cluster doesn't look like the 243 pics I've seen either.:?

·
7,617 Posts
It's got the right hand G# trill, so seems like an earlier horn.

·
1,477 Posts
OK--more "Modern" Vintage Holtons!

two 233 altos from ebay:
sn 263754 for the shinier one (with blue padsaver)
sn 277701

Excerpt from sn 263754 ebay ad: "This Holton saxophophone was purchased for $290.00 on June 11, 1955. (I have the original receipt!) It was used briefly by four members in my family for high school band. Each of us used it 2 years or less (some dropped out of band, some went to other instruments. ) . . ."

Question: Why did Holton revert to LH bell keys after having RH bell keys on the 232 models? 232 mechanisms work well enough. Maybe they were overly complex for adjustments or manufacture?:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
I have just purchased a 1930s Holton tenor with a neck that features a double brace octave key similar to Selmer. It also has the left hand bell keys, but with the relatively rare ornate bracework over the keys. It should arrive within a week. I will fully restore it and give a comparison test with the Rudy Wiedoeft tenor I have played for a few months. I have found the Rudy tenor to have a brilliant upper octave. It is so bright that it sounds very much like my Rudy C Melody. I expect this newer horn to sound like the next generation of tenors, which I will find useful for more modern (swing era--bop style.

·
1,477 Posts
I have just purchased a 1930s Holton tenor with a neck that features a double brace octave key similar to Selmer. It also has the left hand bell keys, but with the relatively rare ornate bracework over the keys. It should arrive within a week. I will fully restore it and give a comparison test with the Rudy Wiedoeft tenor I have played for a few months. I have found the Rudy tenor to have a brilliant upper octave. It is so bright that it sounds very much like my Rudy C Melody. I expect this newer horn to sound like the next generation of tenors, which I will find useful for more modern (swing era--bop style.
Jazzbug,
I was your competition on that one! I just saw it four hours out, listed as an
alto. I can't believe I missed it until then. I compared it to 241s and 243s I have pics of--it sure doesn't seem like one of those from the pics. What it does bear a strong resemblence to is the Resotone alto from another thread. Could it be a Resotone Tenor in brass? The Resotone alto is a model "204", no? Anyway--great score, and I can't wait to get your take on it.:)

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
"...What it does bear a strong resemblence to is the Resotone alto from another thread. Could it be a Resotone Tenor in brass? The Resotone alto is a model "204", no? Anyway--great score, and I can't wait to get your take on it.:)"

I've decided not to compete with my american friends:D
I agree, this seems to be a RESOTONE tenor which is really surprising as the ad refers to an alto only. Jazzbug will be able to tell us soon, as 'RESOTONE' is written on the tone ring (backside of the bell rim). Here is the logo written on a trumpet:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x88/jimiclapton/Holton Resotone/ResoTone_Tr_121511.jpg

Felix

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
If this horn sets up like I hope, it will see considerable action in jazz performances between Buffalo and Toronto. I have been looking for a tenor in this style for quite a while. If it sounds close to my Wiedoeft, then I will put it back on EBay, re-padded and de-dented, as I don't need two 1920s sounding tenors. What I like about the Wiedoeft is the lack of "tubbiness" which I find in most 1920s tenors. The big band era (starting around 1933) called for an aggressive tenor with lots of projection, hence the changes by all instrument makers at this time. I loved my Conn 10M, but the top end did not flow out like the Wiedoeft, which requires little embrochure change. I'm hoping this Holton will have the deep silky bottom of the 10M, but retain the Holton brilliance in the top. If it does, I'll get plastic surgery and become a teenage idol.

·
1,477 Posts
And a beauty of a Bari (Holton 274 from ebay as well).
Sold for US $840.01 on 17 MAR 09.

With ad details of: "Frank Holton baritone saxophone original silver finish. 500 dollar overhaul new pads cork and felts. I bought it from an estate sale. Included is a $200 Protec case. I do not play any more. Excellent intonation, big strong sound. US only."

. . .this thing was a steal. Wish I could have sprung for this one.

41 - 60 of 188 Posts