Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
well, got the sax, played it with a yamaha 5star and a bari medium reed. dont like the bari reed, so i am going to go with fibracell, i like those. this thing plays great top to bottom and weighs a TON. much heavier than my zephyr, probably because of the silver plating. its not much to look at right now, but it sounds great, loud, strong and in tune. i am happy with it, and that now makes 4 holtons in silver from 1906 through 1940. all i need is a soprano and i will have at least one of each pitch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just for the record, Honkytone (and others), your alto is the ONLY other Holton that resembles my model 243 tenor. These late model professional Holtons represent a clear and distinct departure from other concurrent and previous Holton models (such as the Collegiate and older models with the funky keywork) in all but the soldered tone holes. I'm just wondering how rare they are. Yours is the first one I have EVER run across that resembles my Holton. It seems few were made. It's a pity. They're fabulous.

Does anyone else out there play or have one of these later model profession Holtons (i.e., not the Collegiates or older models)? Thanks in advance for your input.

Hafuch

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: Couesnon and Bettersax (by Bundy); Tenor: YTS-61; Sop: Antigua Winds 4280; C-mel: Conn
3,161 Posts
Doug,

I got my first alto in 1950 as a 9th birthday present, a brand new Holton Collegiate that I used for 10 more years throughout junior and senior high schools (3 years of El Rancho HS - Pico Rivera, CA - marching band and 4 years in the concert band) and even kept it a few years after joining the Navy. I won't bore you with how I came to part with it in Yokosuka, Japan while stopped over there in a submarine (USS Segundo) in 1960. I always thought it was a wonderful sax especially compared to the old C-melody I played between my 8th and 9th b'days.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I discovered another Holton Collegiate on eBay being sold by a pawn shop in TX that looked a lot like my old Holton so I took a chance and bought it for $117 and change, plus shipping. When it arrived, I couldn't believe how well it played. It took me back to my HS days and even impressed my wife with how good it sounded for such a low price. I'm keeping it for the same reason I bought it: nostalgia.

I'd share a couple of photos of my "new" Holton alto, but for some reason IE 7.0 won't let me upload photos to my Clubphoto account on this computer. If interested, I can attach a couple to emails.

Rob

·
Alto: Couesnon and Bettersax (by Bundy); Tenor: YTS-61; Sop: Antigua Winds 4280; C-mel: Conn
3,161 Posts
Here is the eBay listing showing photos of the Holton I just bought. It's in pretty good shape and plays surprisingly well.

·
3,161 Posts
Same guy has two "rare" Holton tenors selling at the same time. I agree that these look like excellent deals for someone wanting a vintage quality tenor at a low price. Unfortunately, I just bought a great Vito tenor and now have to unload the horns I'm not playing, not add to the collection by buying more, even when they are as tempting as these are.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Bernards20040,

Could you tell me where you read that later Holtons were Martin stencils? I'm very curious. Thanks.

By the way, Honkytone, could you tell me how you posted those pictures of your Holton alto? I'd to the same for my Holton 243 tenor if I could only figure out how!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Holton 243 tenor (silver plate) 277xxx pictures ... finally

Hi Honkytone and others,

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of my Holton 243 for comparison and just for the sake of documenting what seems to be a fairly rare horn.

As you can see, it has much in common with Honkytone's alto (pictures of his are on p. 1 of this thread), but there are some differences (bell brace, shape of left hand pinky table, bell keys on the left side, no reinforcement plate under the neck, among other things).

Anyway, comments and/or questions are more than welcome.

Hafuch

·
Registered
71 Posts
Martin stencils ... perhaps, but no beveled tone holes

Dear Bernards20040 and others,

Just thought I'd post a comment about the Holton possibly being a Martin stencil.

I suppose this could be true, particularly in the way they sound and play, but I'm wondering about the tone holes. They are indeed soldered - without a doubt, but they lack the beveled tone hole of the Martins of the same era. The Holton tone holes are thick (as with Martins), but straight and unbeveled.

This leads me to believe that it may not be a Martin stencil after all, but again, I remain uncertain.

Just more food for thought. Anyway, for those who recently bought those Holton 241s that were for sale on eBay, how do they play? What do you think?

Kind regards,

Hafuch

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
OK Holton fans,
We need to assemble some info on the "newer" Holtons--we seem to be doing well on the older ones!:D

Our Holton bretheren from yesteryear have a fairly good start with this thread, so I figure we might as well continue it.

Additionally, these models (the 240 series tenors specifically) seem to garner very good reviews, even factoring in the "Holton avoidance factor" that seems to plaque the horns.

Did bell keys shift side from the 241 to 243?
The LH spatulas on 241 and 243s are noticeably different.
Was there a 240? A 242? A 244?
Does anyone own a 270 series Bari?
What was the Soprano equivalent? Was there one?
What finishes did this era of horns come in?
When/what model did Holton stop soldering tone holes on (vice drawing)?
Were the 566 Tenor Collegiates and 576(?) Altos closely related models or not?

Lot's of questions--If you have one of these saxes, tell us about it, and post a pic!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
OK--I answered one of my questions already.

Apparently there was a 244 Tenor, as well as a 234 Alto (referred to as "Stratodynes"), as seen in this 1950 ad:

Also, here's an ad for a 231 alto from 1942 (posted before, but here again for reference):

21 - 40 of 188 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.