Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,556 Posts
Wow! It's beautiful.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yes, it is...
I had and still have other vintage altos but this one (and the Connstellation) has something attractive which I can't recognize
I know I will miss it but I decided to let it go for a price which I think is relatively low (but not too) for the horn it is

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know much about Holtons, but I have one now. A satin silver Collegiate I believe to be from 1942. ser 152***
Seems odd to find a war year sax. Also, I thought that year to be too early for a 'student grade' model. I thought that market strategy started in the 50's.
What differences are there between Collegiate and other models?
Musical instrument Reed instrument Human body Musical instrument accessory Wind instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Brass instrument
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Musical instrument Cylinder

·
Registered
220 Posts
I question the serial number for this one - it would put a 230 before the 201, which strikes me as improbable. I thought the 230 was contemporaneous with the 240 tenor, which came out in the late 30s or early 40s. The second digit of the serial number in the photos is unclear - could it be a poorly struck 4? A serial number of 140950 would make more sense.

181 - 188 of 188 Posts