Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost have enough money for a Buescher alto, and I will be going for the lacquered New Aristocrat that Junkdude has (I actually want to try out three, but I don't have enough money to purchase three at once). But, before I commit, I want to know if it will be hard going from my student Yamaha, which I've played since I started playing sax, to a 70-year-old vintage Buescher. Will there be any issues, like in intonation, or ergonomics? I've barely ever played on a vintage horn, except for when I blew on an improperly set up True-tone at a local Sam Ash for a couple of minutes. It was probably leaking like a sieve, and I was using a french style classical piece, so this really didn't give me a feel for the old horn. If there might be issues, how long would it usually take to get used to it? Would Junkdude's 7-10 day trial period be long enough? Thanks for answering.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bueschers are known for their wonderful intonation. You should have no trouble there. I find buescher ergonomics very comfortable..you shouldn't have any problems.

Early next week I'm taking one of my horns to junkdude to get fixed. I planned on trying a few horns, so if you would like, I'll give the horn a test run and tell you what I think of it.

·
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jacobeid said:
Bueschers are known for their wonderful intonation. You should have no trouble there. I find buescher ergonomics very comfortable..you shouldn't have any problems.

Early next week I'm taking one of my horns to junkdude to get fixed. I planned on trying a few horns, so if you would like, I'll give the horn a test run and tell you what I think of it.
That would be great, but with a small but generous grant from the 'rents, I may buy this tomorrow. But if I don't, it would be greatly appreciated if you could also try out the True-tones and the relacquered Big B.

Also, I read somewhere on this forum that vintage horns were designed to be flexible intonation-wise, and if your not used to them, you might have some trouble. Is this true?

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
If the Buescher is in good condition and well serviced it'll feel and sound great. I had my knackered Big B tenor seriviced and it's as quick as a Yamaha, more comfy and sounds better. So there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
It looks as if Dave has a couple of nice Buescher altos. Intonation would be more reliable and the keywork a touch more refined on the Big B or the 140, but the NAs are great horns with a special sound. The prices aren't bad on any of the three from a dealer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
If the Buescher is in good condition and well serviced it'll feel and sound great. I had my knackered Big B tenor seriviced and it's as quick as a Yamaha, more comfy and sounds better. So there.
So there indeed! Big Bs are marvelous horns....
saintsday said:
It looks as if Dave has a couple of nice Buescher altos. Intonation would be more reliable and the keywork a touch more refined on the Big B or the 140, but the NAs are great horns with a special sound. The prices aren't bad on any of the three from a dealer.
Yeah: Definitely don't overlook the Big B or the 140, zxcvbnm (they're essentially the same make, but with different engraving) -- I own a 140, and they're really great horns....

·
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
saintsday said:
I asked him, and he said that the NA was a stronger player than the Big B. I'm pretty much looking for that dark TT sound, but with better intonation and mouthpiece compatibility, and that pretty much describes the NA.

·
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah well, I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm kinda paranoid about finally having enough money, and someone buying it before me (I've been watching this one for weeks). NA's are kinda hard to find at that price. So, I bought it. Can't wait for it to arrive. Btw, do you guys think I should get a new SKB case too, or will the vintage case serve its purpose well?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
I would guess the biggest change you will notice is the resistance will nt be the same as on your current horn. Also you may need to use a different mouthpiece so take some extras and a few different reed numbers.

·
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a caravan large chamber, so I think that will suffice. I also have out on trial a caravan medium chamber and a rascher I don't like very much on my current sax (also have a vandoren al3 I barely use anymore ever since I switched to rascher-style pieces). I don't have any jazz pieces (yet), so I don't know how that will work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the dark side.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
I would buy a light weight case like a ProTec or a Gator GL for everyday use and keep the vintage case in case you want to sell the sax in the future. My recommendations, however, don't come from personal experience with a NA. I'm not having trouble with my 140 in a Protec though. I've thought of trying the Gator myself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,126 Posts
I've got my NA in a Gator GL (the fabric covered version) and it's a perfect fit. I'd highly recommend it, it's as good as or better than a ProTec and you'll know it fits.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
354 Posts
New to vintage horn.....

Hey, another newbie here chiming in, and i'm not the horn player in my family, my son is. I'll add this.... I bought an Aristocrat for my son last year from Dave at Junkdude [as an upgrade from his YAS-23], and could not have been more pleased with the whole deal. I had Dave send 3 horns to pick from amongst [okay, no English major], and my son chose the Aristo, with a Selmer Omega a close second. He's had no problems going to the classic horn, and the thing has character in spades, even with a 13 yr old playing it.
We did quite a bit of research, especially reading this site, and talked with a lot of cool folks around the country before going through Junkdude, mostly because it's easier to prepay for trial horns with a Visa than money orders, or taking out a second mortgage. Hope you enjoy your new [old] horn as much as my son does. KP

·
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll enjoy the horn a bunch (wish I had the money to try 3 or maybe go to Ohio though :D ).

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,195 Posts
I think the main thing you'll notice is a MUCH improved tone and sound overall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts