Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this due to the recent tariffs in Europe or is this a result of last years sale to Argos Soditic, what the hell is going on? A Selmer Ref 54 Tenor at WWBW now sells for $9,400.00 I can buy a pretty decent Mark VI for $6-$7K Makes you wonder just how long Selmer Paris will be with us. Those Thaiwan horns are really beginning to look attractive, especially the Easton 52 and the Mauriat 66RU.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
It has been a while since I've checked saxophone prices at the known discount houses, but $9400 seems pretty spendy, even for a nice saxophone like a tenor Ref 54.

I bought a new Ref 54 alto several years ago at Kesslers - cost me something like $3850. I recently gifted it to my oldest adult daughter. (She loves it by the way - after years on her MKVII alto, which I gave her when she was starting in high school). Anyway, I agree that Selmer risks pricing themselves right out of the market with prices like that. But, such is life. DAVE

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Is this due to the recent tariffs in Europe or is this a result of last years sale to Argos Soditic, what the hell is going on? A Selmer Ref 54 Tenor at WWBW now sells for $9,400.00.
I think the answer is probably no to both questions. Selmer Paris prices in the U.S. have been around this level for a while now. They go up periodically, but I haven't noticed a sudden spike that could be attributed to some surprise factor that's external to the market.

You can get a much cheaper new Selmer sax by buying it from a European dealer and "importing" it to the U.S. directly. And for many current Selmer models, there are enough good used ones in circulation that you won't even have to contemplate buying new. In the last 3.5 years, I've bought a used Series II alto and a used Series III alto, both in excellent to outstanding condition. Their combined price was substantially less than the price of one new Selmer alto in the United States.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Is this due to the recent tariffs in Europe
Let’s not get political but just to clarify (and we will delete if this escalates) but what are the recent tariffs you are referring to?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Let’s not get political but just to clarify (and we will delete if this escalates) but what are the recent tariffs you are referring to?
That's what I was trying to work out is there some kinda new tax in the US now on musical instruments from our side of the pond

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Not that I know of - the new tariffs are on other kinds of goods. I expect the new tariffs to be removed soon anyway, at least the European ones, as both sides are in talks to do so.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The current retail street price is $7,959. (!) Your price is so low that it was probably 10 years ago or more.
Fwiw, I found my copy of the 2006 Woodwind & Brasswind paper catalogue. The price of a Ref. 54 alto was $3,999. The price has increased by 99% in 12 years.

·
14,268 Posts
LostConn: Time marches on . . . it probably was at least 10 years ago - more like 12+ years. It wasn't long after they came to market, as I recall. I played several new ones at various stores, and played maybe four at Kesslers' before I bought the one Ref 54 alto there.

What impressed me about the Ref 54, as opposed to most new altos from various makers, was the tonal consistency among all the ones I played. A friend of mine liked mine so well, he bought a new one from Kessler. It played almost exactly like mine. I'd never experienced such consistency.

But to increase pricing that much? Wow! I wonder how business is for Selmer these days? I hope they are right. DAVE

·
Registered
506 Posts
Some quickmarket research for tenor ref 54

USA - Saxquest: 9.425 $
USA - USA Horn: 9.424 $
USA - WWBW: 9.424 $

EU - Thomann: 7,673 $
EU (still) - sax.co.uk - 7.809,97 $

AU - All sites - No price available

JPN - All sites - Can't find ref54 for sale...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I remember a local music store about 12 years ago had a Selmer (Paris ) SA80III silver plated tenor for sale at NZ8,000.00 about a year later they had increased the price to NZ16,000.00 on the same horn when I inquired about the increase in price they said it was due to the exchange rate -really! Anyway it took them about nine years to sell the horn I think at about NZD8,000.00...I wonder how much it costs for Selmer or any other top manufacturer to make a saxophone?

Greg S.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
That's what I was trying to work out is there some kinda new tax in the US now on musical instruments from our side of the pond
OP says recent tariffs in Europe, not from Europe. This is what I wanted to clarify.

(NB: to all) As mentioned all I want to do is know what the tariffs are and how they would affect saxophones. We should not discuss the ins and outs of any such tariffs or it could become political.

·
824 Posts
$8,259.00 at Saxforte for either a Reference 54 or 36.

Less expensive, but not inexpensive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fwiw, I found my copy of the 2006 Woodwind & Brasswind paper catalogue. The price of a Ref. 54 alto was $3,999. The price has increased by 99% in 12 years.
That's an increase of 6% per year. Few items have gone up that much in an environment of generally low inflation.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I doubt US tariffs on steel or aluminum make a difference but don't give this administration any ideas.

I noticed the major increase in the US for new European instruments came due to the exchange rate when the Euro was at U$1.40 in 2014. As with most price increases, they don't adjust downward. It explains, in part, why being your own importer will save a bunch. But it pretty much rules out trying the instrument before buying.

·
12,706 Posts
Its not the tarrifs...its just a really high price.

buy a new one...sell it at a 40 percent loss.
buy a vi which is worlds better...sell it for a profit.

there are also a bunch of selmer like horns I would have rather than a 54
had one...never liked it...sold it and bought a vi.
never looked back.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I wouldn’t consider a concrete fact to be a political comment.
I always thought those prices listed were “high retail” or MSRP to make it seem like a great deal when they sell it to you 30%, or whatever, less.

·
12,706 Posts
Yes, I remember working in a phito shop when i was young...i was in Aspen. The Nikon rep told us we were about the only shop where msrp actually meant the price.

Big Box shops asked me to make msrp peices so normal prices looked better....So I can tell you for a fact MSRP is an acronym for the word "Fiction".

1 - 20 of 55 Posts