Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had experience with either of these mouthpieces? If so, what are they like for you?

I've just been wondering about them because they seem rather expensive for what you get (IMO. I havent seen a new one for under $330), and I don't know anyone today who plays one.

Also, I'm talking about the two "modern" Selmer Paris mouthpieces, not the USA models.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
I have zero actual experience playing them, but I've read here that the new Selmer pieces suffer from inconsistent facings and other assorted issues. In other words, definitely not worth what retailers are asking for them price-wise.

·
2,309 Posts
elmiguel,
I've owned and played on Selmer Paris metal pieces over the years, they all were fine, well made in every aspect.

What they are not, are paint peelers, probably to their demise in popularity through the late 60's and 70's when high baffled screamers became the norm because of pop/rock music trends. But because of their warmer and rounded sound qualities the Selmer metal classic and jazz soprano mouthpieces are great and sought after by many soprano players.

As far as price look at what some of today's mouthpieces cost...i.e. Wanne's mouthpieces, the ones I've played are fine in craftsmanship but I just didn't care for sound.

·
4,579 Posts
Yes the vintage Selmers are sought-after, but I don't think the current production models are?

·
2,309 Posts
The current Selmer Paris models are fine in every aspect and just as sought after, especially (as I stated) for soprano. From the 1956 chamber designs of each, very little has changed. The exteriors of each went through a couple changes. The current models (since the 80's) offer a larger tip opening range, in keeping with all the other manufactures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts