Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been a forum hoverer for a while now and have just decided to join!
I'm just interested in getting some info and feedback about modern pieces

I'm currently playing a Meyer 6m w/ Vandorren java greens on a '49 Buescher 400 TH&C.

I'm a senior in high school in a remote part of Canada (any where's remote here if you don't have a car!!) and I haven't really had the opportunity to play many different mouthpieces. The only ones have been the generic student ones.
I currently like my piece a lot (went through tons of Meyers to find it), But I know there's gotta be better out there.

Thats it for my story, and I know that people are gonna say that if your happy with your piece, keep it, I just want to try something new and exciting and see what else is out there, broaden my horizons a bit.

I've been looking through the forum and have checked out the sites of some specialized modern mouthpiece makers, Phil-tone, theo wayne, lamberson, RPC, Drake, Ted Klum, Aizen and the like.
I was wondering about people's opinions and experiences of these pieces, specifically Phil-tone and RPC (closest to my price range) but all information is welcome!

I'm here to learn!
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I was considering that route but I decided against it, I want to keep this piece for a bit, its got a history with me and I'm a sentimental kinda dude and I want to keep mine as a reference from which I can judge others.
I was actually just checking out one of your refaced meyers on sale from another member of the forum, i've read good things about them!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
But I know there's gotta be better out there.
There really isn't a "better" just a "different" assuming your present piece isn't poorly faced or damaged in some way. I play the same setup on my TH & C and get a nice straight-ahead alto sound with the best intonation of any sax I've ever owned. Realize, even when you know what you are looking for, mouthpiece GAS can be a very expensive affliction. I would start by defining "better" in more specific terms so you know both where to start your search and when you've found what you're looking for.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
dan, You say that you like your piece a lot but know there has to be a better one out there. You actually don't know that until you try something. Assuming that there is a better one out there will drive you insane. It's like having a great girlfriend but assuming there's better ones out there that you could get. There very well might be but you might ruin the great thing you have by searching for something else that is a maybe............ I would stick with what you have. Many many great alto players play stock Meyers. Along the way try out what you can to see if it beats it. All the pieces you mentioned are great. You can't go wrong. Just make sure there is a return policy so you can try it to see.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks guys, point taken!
I understand the part about the keep it if you like it.
I was trying to glean some information about and some personal experiences with some of the pieces. I'm more interested in how other people react to them and how the strengths and weaknesses in each individual's situation.
I know that they'd all be great pieces (they wouldn't be talked about otherwise), I've seen a lot of reviews and such, just I've never seen them all on the same page and so its hard to internalize.
Thanks and cheers
Dan

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
Ok thanks guys, point taken!
I understand the part about the keep it if you like it.
I was trying to glean some information about and some personal experiences with some of the pieces. I'm more interested in how other people react to them and how the strengths and weaknesses in each individual's situation.
I know that they'd all be great pieces (they wouldn't be talked about otherwise), I've seen a lot of reviews and such, just I've never seen them all on the same page and so its hard to internalize.
Thanks and cheers
Dan
I have my opinions and sound clips of 5 of them on my site. I haven't done a RPC or a Lamberson alto piece yet..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have another question, I've seen RPC's in the marketplace advertised as red amd blue letter models.
Whats the difference between the two??
Cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
The red lettered ones are generally older and sometimes shaped differently. I use a mix of red and blue with my alto, tenors and bari.

It's okay to experiment, but for many here it becomes an obsession and they waste a ton of money on neverending pursuits and are easily preyed upon by marketers. Don't be one of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
The Meyer is an OK piece. try not to get sucked into the "I will become a better player through more expensive equipment" vortex.

Hey, Brighton is closer to Toronto than Belleville, so you arent really that remote!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, Brighton is closer to Toronto than Belleville, so you arent really that remote!
Hey hey, your right but without a car theres no way I'm gettin to Toronto!

The red lettered ones are generally older and sometimes shaped differently. I use a mix of red and blue with my alto, tenors and bari.

It's okay to experiment, but for many here it becomes an obsession and they waste a ton of money on neverending pursuits and are easily preyed upon by marketers. Don't be one of them.
Thanks for the red and blue and the advice, I've already fallen into that trap in regards to amplifiers, I was a bit of a vintage amp nut at one point...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts