Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m looking for something with that nice comfortable link sound, but with a little more modern resonance. I prefer something not too bright as well. I've been really considering getting a Randy Jone's custom EB mouthpieces. I sort of want something a tad bit more modern than that. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
do you want metal or hard rubber?

maybe try getting a link refaced by someone like brian powell? and then you'll get what you're after

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SR Tech Legend is available in HR as well actually

my GOD that is expensive. im in highschool. while my parents are lenient on my spendings, that is almost pushing it. do you know anywhere i may be able to find some samples of what it sounds like?

·
Registered
610 Posts
you can change a lot with the reed - I use Alexander reeds (on an old rubber Link and an EB STM) and generally use the NY's, but if I want a bit more brightness I use the Superials.
Personally I'd go with the Tenor Madness EB remake - listen to Joel Frahm playing one - and then experiment with reeds.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
you can change a lot with the reed .
+1 to that.

I'm still awaiting an answer to my question (what is 'modern resonance'). Until we know clearly what you're after, silverstuff, we can't really help much. Just for example, if you mean a brighter, edgier sound, that's nothing new or modern, but at least it helps describe what you want.

"Modern" is pretty meaningless as a descriptive term for tone quality.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
I'm still awaiting an answer to my question (what is 'modern resonance').
I'd really like to know that too

"Modern" is pretty meaningless as a descriptive term for tone quality.
It can cover most saxophone tones over the last 60 years.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
..I'm looking for something in between the vandoren v16 and an HR link.
That still doesn't help much because there are so many different sounds and tone qualities you can get out of either of those mpcs, especially the Link. Maybe if you could refer to some musician that has a sound close to what you're after, as well as something more descriptive. What is it exactly that the Link isn't allowing you to do?

Just to be clear, saying you want something more modern in a mpc doesn't give us a clue. A 'modern sound' has nothing to do with the mpc; it's more a stylistic thing (and still hard to pin down).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hmm. this is rather difficult. Something that is like a link, but more focused and warm?

perhaps something similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFBvl-0Ycrc&feature=related that won't cost a fortune.
Tenor Madness Early Babbitt would be a similar style piece to the vintage Early Babbitt that Jay is playing. I think the TMEB pieces are $275.

Just to be clear though, Jay Thomas is a bada** player and sounds great on anything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts