Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there are any large-round-chamber soprano pieces currently in production other than the Rascher and Caravan. Everything else seems to have a reduced-size circle, square or horseshoe....

Alan

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,915 Posts
I've seen Babbitt pieces with large chambers. Not sure if they were still current production.

Geo. M. Bundy HR soprano pieces are reputed to have larger chambers, but still a bit of a squeeze at the throat.

Morgan's 1C soprano has a slight squeeze as well.

I'm trying to find a blank to make soprano pieces with a larger (but not QUITE as large as Caravan and Rascher) chamber.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Large Chamber

Hmmmmmm ???

I actually play and record on a Slantline Link Soprano piece that my pops got from Link while on tour... The whole Buddy Rich sax section was invited over to the Florida Factory. My dad being the great chameleon that he is always liking to switch gear (10* one day - 5* the next) said "I'll take one of everything, in every size…"

Now I can't seem to find another one for a good price… as usual $400 +

I also have been wondering why it seems that no-one makes a new Large chamber piece for Soprano. I have heard about "Caravan" pieces… but have searched the web, and only found them mentioned in discussion forums, not advertised…

Large chamber Soprano -- Wayne Shorter used one... So did Steve Lacey (RIP)... Bob Beldon…

Once I heard that Wayne used a large chamber piece - I immediately knew why his sound was so different, and asked if I could use the one my dad had…. He is a Selmer Soloist guy, so it was no problem…

What new production line pieces out there look like an old Buescher or Otto link? Why are there no pieces made like that anymore... It is a distinctive sound, and many people want to go in that direction - but don't know that the pieces used by Shorter/Lacey are so very different than the small Selmer design. It is really futile to attempt to get the same sound on a small chamber piece…

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,915 Posts
Adam - I have a couple of Caravan soprano pieces sitting around right now. I haven't tried opening any of them up to more than about .055. I have a Rascher piece that measures .055 from the factory.

Babbitt makes both of these pieces. It stands to reason that anyone wishing to get a piece like this made could, given the access to the funds that would be required for startup costs.

It might be difficult to open something like a Caravan much, unless you opened them by angling the table.

Unlike the slant links I've seen there's also practically no baffle on these pieces.

Personally, I've been playing a Bilger Gold soprano piece again lately. .045 tip, slightly larger chamber than Selmer's, squeeze throat, and a bit of rollover near the tip. It's got a good balance between bright and fat when played with a #3.5 Vandoren blue box.

If you have a Beechler HR soprano piece with about a .050 tip, I'd be interested in trading one of the Caravans to you for it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It has been my experience that either extremely large or small chambered soprano pieces have intonation problems.the very large chambered old mouthpieces you will notice have short shanks. They had to be pushed on quite far. On modern sopranos this will cause the palm key notes to go sharp.

Better to have a mouthpiece with a medium chamber.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
The best large chamber soprano mouthpiece I ever played was one that Ralph Morgan custom made for me. It was a 6C. Beautiful big dark sound and intonation was spot on. One can be ordered from Junkdude.com as a special order.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,322 Posts
Roger Aldridge said:
The best large chamber soprano mouthpiece I ever played was one that Ralph Morgan custom made for me. It was a 6C. Beautiful big dark sound and intonation was spot on. One can be ordered from Junkdude.com as a special order.
Ralph's soprano mouthpiece is very good!

·
Registered
855 Posts
MojoBari said:
Those raw Buescher blanks that were sold on eBay are good, but they take a lot of work. The C sop blank can be hogged out to your liking for a Bb sop.
Mojo was kind enough to finish two of these blanks for me. One to a .048" tip and the other to a .066" tip. Between these two pieces I get every palette of the soprano sound I want- from contolled / sweet / focused to well.. as close to Sidney Bechet as I could ever come. They work perfectly fine with my Antigua 586BC.

When Keith says they take a lot of work, he is not kidding. Check out his site, there is a link to a slide show of the multitude of steps required in finishing one of these blanks. Mojo is great to work with (as I am sure Ralph is), and can certainly produce a piece custom tailored to fit your wants or needs. he also seriously undervalues his work, but don't tell him I said that :cool: !

·
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for clarification...

I'm matching this with a Buescher curved soprano. I had loaned out my Morgan 1C to a friend and it's on its way back. However, what I'm really hoping for is to find a mouthpiece with similar qualities and no step between the chamber and the barrel.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Bundy Soprano Hard Rubber might be similar to what you are looking for.

They are pretty reasonable but may need a reface as the quality control from Babbitt is lacking.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Merlin said:
It might be difficult to open something like a Caravan much, unless you opened them by angling the table.

Unlike the slant links I've seen there's also practically no baffle on these pieces.
I would never open the piece up by angling the table... I just don't do that.

If the soprano piece starts very close, and you open it up at the tip, it will raise baffle... I like to make jazz pieces between .60 - .70... I haven't actually checked out a Caravan - I wonder if it would raise up enough baffle to project?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Paul Coats said:
It has been my experience that either extremely large or small chambered soprano pieces have intonation problems.the very large chambered old mouthpieces you will notice have short shanks. They had to be pushed on quite far. On modern sopranos this will cause the palm key notes to go sharp.

Better to have a mouthpiece with a medium chamber.
Paul,

I am playing my slant Link on an old Mark VI soprano... It's the only soprano I've had, and have been playing it since the 6th grade. I tried playing every mouthpiece available to me... and It's funny, because the link was finally the mouthpiece that allowed me to play the soprano IN Tune

Everybodys different... My father Gerry told me that I was wasting my time with the Link... He is a selmer Soloist guy... When he heard the sound I got, he had to agree - for me, it was the piece to play. He would agree with you, that he thinks it is better to have a medium chamber... That's what most people play these days...

·
distinguished member
371 Posts
aniewood said:
I would never open the piece up by angling the table... I just don't do that.
And THAT'S the ONLY way I'll do it especially on ebonite mpcs. There's no other way to preserve the original dimensions and relationships of the tip facet, tip rail and baffle and the original "voice" of the mpc. No further comment on this topic........

Doc

·
distinguished member
371 Posts
aniewood said:
Doc,

I realize this is almost worth ignoring… Please don't take offense. I'm not attempting to anger you... (which seems almost impossible)
Actually, it's totally worth ignoring, Adam. There's no "anger" in my replies to you and I haven't "taken offense" at any comments you've made. I just consider both the source and your obvious limited experience in this craft. I'm too busy "doing it my way" to be bothered by you in any way.

·
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back on topic, I just sent Phil Barone an inquiry about his Vintage hard rubber soprano pieces. Anyone know about their sound/chamber design?

Alan

·
Registered
199 Posts
awholley said:
Just for clarification...

I'm matching this with a Buescher curved soprano. I had loaned out my Morgan 1C to a friend and it's on its way back. However, what I'm really hoping for is to find a mouthpiece with similar qualities and no step between the chamber and the barrel.
I don't know anything about the Barone pieces... He will be able to describe it's design..

Have you tried on of the Bb "The Buescher" mouthpieces? A friend of mine plays one of these finished by Jon Van Wie... on an old Silver Curved Conn. I've played his setup for fun... and I liked the combination.

The Buescher piece might be a good thing to look into... Thoughts anyone?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.