Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if there is already a thread out there on this. A few days ago, I heard about Alex LoRe, an excellent alto player from New York, and started checking out some of his Youtube videos. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiTmoUf5yro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQ5_1D9vqY

Anyway, I thought it was cool that he was playing a Chu alto! I've seen lots of videos of people playing Conn tenors in professional settings (e.g., Tivon Pennicott), but not too many people playing Conn altos. Do you guys have any other Youtube recommendations?

·
Banned
652 Posts
I find it interesting that 20 years ago I never saw a pro with anything but a Selmer, a Yani or a Yami. Once I saw a guy pull out a Keilwerth and I thought "What the hell is that?" It wasn't until I started using a new tech that specialized in vintage horns that I got to hear all these amazing vintage horns no one was playing. I actually bought a time capsule of a 1935 6M from an antique shop for $400, after it sat there for months unnoticed. I tried to sell it for $500 to finance a move, took it to my big band reharsal and all but one of them turned their noses up at it, except for one old timer that chastised them saying "I want that horn! Bird played one of these!" That horn now would sell for $5000 easily. Interesting how the internet has opened up our once very narrow minded culture.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
I find it interesting that 20 years ago I never saw a pro with anything but a Selmer, a Yani or a Yami. Once I saw a guy pull out a Keilwerth and I thought "What the hell is that?" It wasn't until I started using a new tech that specialized in vintage horns that I got to hear all these amazing vintage horns no one was playing. I actually bought a time capsule of a 1935 6M from an antique shop for $400, after it sat there for months unnoticed. I tried to sell it for $500 to finance a move, took it to my big band reharsal and all but one of them turned their noses up at it, except for one old timer that chastised them saying "I want that horn! Bird played one of these!" That horn now would sell for $5000 easily. Interesting how the internet has opened up our once very narrow minded culture.
Well, I always tell the story of buying my original lacquer Conn 6M for $130 from a pawn shop in 1978 and right next to it was a King Super 20 tenor with all the pearls for $400 (which I didn't buy, still kicking myself for that). I think in 2019 money that would still be something like $1500 while those horns are currently going for $5000 and up.

I was there and I remember very well how saxophone players, teachers, and repair people almost all treated the vintage Conns, Kings, Martins, and especially Bueschers as trash horns in the 70s.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don’t have an alto, but I must say that I have always thought that the sound of my Conn Tenor blended in much better with other instruments than my Selmer. The Conn’s aren’t so stylized, but they are much better team players.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I’ve never seen a 6M go for that. $1200 maybe on a good day.
As much as I’m a Selmer player I do like a 6M.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
964 Posts
I play a pair of 6M altos (who am I? recorded over the years with Julius Hemphill, David Murray, JD Allen, Ken Peplowski, Doc Cheatham, Roswell Rudd, Matt Shipp, Kalaparusha) - after many years of switching around, I am done. These have the right sound and action. Add a couple of mouthpieces by Norbert Stachel, and I am all set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve never seen a 6M go for that. $1200 maybe on a good day.
As much as I’m a Selmer player I do like a 6M.
yea I just sold a 6m in very nice condition for $900 and it took a month to sell it $5000 maybe just maybe if it belonged to Bird

1 - 20 of 25 Posts