Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be time to replace my totally shot, crappy-relaq 6M, rather than put any $$ into it on repairs and rebuild. It's a very bright, loud horn. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Jack

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I'll buy the Conn if it's reasonably priced. With the m/p you are using it's going to sound bright and loud. These are great horns and plastic dome reso's will 'sweeten' an 'edgy' 6M
If you want something a little more 'mellow' look around for an 800/880 series Yanagasawa. These are built like a tank, play superbly well and have a shade more resistance than current Yanni's and 6M's

·
6,831 Posts
Bright and full, but easily made dark? For me that's a P. Muariat System 76, or a Beaugnier Vito. A good Mark VI will do it too (and that gives you a price range from $600 to $6000+ !).

·
743 Posts
Probably the way to go, but I've decided to just order a set of pads and shoddily glue them in. We're talking alto here, after all...
Your implication is that alto sax is somehow a "non-instrument", not worth your playing, much less repairing correctly. Perhaps your "shoddy 6M" would really shine like the fantastic instrument it is, with a repad and a change of attitude. Tenor (or, insert your sax voice of choice) is not the only sax there is...

·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been my experience that a perfect set-up and mouthpiece are much less critical on alto than on tenor.

·
1,596 Posts
It's been my experience that a perfect set-up and mouthpiece are much less critical on alto than on tenor.
funny you say that, because my experience is the exact opposite. I love my tenor set-up but I'm always fighting my alto set-up except after I switched to my AcoustiMax, but tenor is still way easier for me to voice than alto.

·
6,831 Posts
My alto set-up hasn't really changed in 40 years but my tenor set-up changes everytime I open the case.
Sounds like me! I'm always chasing my Tenor setup. On Alto, I find one, and stick with it for years! I am so close on Tenor now, I think it's just a reed tweak now :) .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
On tenor, I used a Florida Link for years but then went to a brlhart tonalite. Tried the Ricos and now have a B5, A5 and M5. I have a Morgan Excalibur 6E and Meyer 6M, all good mouthpieces. Gee, I just can't decide! Another problem is 4 Martin tenors, Imperial, Comm II, HC and Comm III. All are similar but different!.
Solution: I need to stop playing tenor......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts