Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am thinking about getting a Meyer for my Alto and I was wondering if anyone can weight in on quality, sound and playabliity on the new Meyers.

Any help, advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks and best,

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can't speak for Meyers specifically but I recently got a Otto Link Tone Edge, which is also made by the JJ Babbitt company. It's not "perfect" the way a C&C mouthpiece is, for example the baffle in the piece I bought is not perfectly symmetrical. That said, it plays very well, absolutely a fine piece with its own character. Dr. Wally has a video on Meyers:
I also have a D'Addario Jazz Select D6M, which is also featured here. It's very powerful and focused.

I guess the question is "what do you want out of a mouthpiece?" I think they are good for the money. You will get a Meyer sound, but they will all be very slightly different because they aren't as perfect as other pieces. That said, "less perfect" doesn't necessarily mean less good.

I think it's very much a matter of small differences for most middle of the road pieces. We're all looking for magic but the magic is what we have to bring. There are many good pieces in that price category that sound a little different and play a little different, but are all good in their own way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
The table on new Meyers are not always flat and the facing curves on some of them need a little adjustment to be perfect. But once you have done this they are (still) the best you can get.

I have customers who are saxophone teachers who use to buy brand new meyer 6, - sending them to me for a standard refacing - and then giving/selling them to the students afterwards.

·
Registered
Tenor: 1945 Zephyr, Bari: 1962 12M, Alto: 1925 NW II
82 Posts
I play a modern Meyer 6M on alto. I bought it used, so I am not sure if it had ever been refaced. But, it is my favorite alto mouthpiece so far.

It seems that there are plenty of refacers that specialize in Meyer mouthpieces. If you were to get one that wasn't quite up to par, you could easily find someone to reface it into a killer piece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd look into the TW NYBros mouthpiece. It's similar in feel to a Meyer but more responsive(although a bit brighter). Also much more consistent. I used to own a modern Meyer for alto, but I recently upgraded to the TW and haven't looked back!
I've also tried a V16 and it's a bit empty sounding imo.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Have you tried Retro Revival NY Alto model? They have a newer small chamber version that sound pretty good on youtube (Bob Sheppard playing it). I believe they are not hand finished though.

·
Registered
P. Mauriat Alto "Le Bravo" 200
19 Posts
Hello all,

I am thinking about getting a Meyer for my Alto and I was wondering if anyone can weight in on quality, sound and playabliity on the new Meyers.

Any help, advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks and best,
I bought a new Meyer alto MP (5MM) earlier this year but it wouldn't fit on the neck so I returned it and exchanged it for a D'Addario Select Jazz, which I'm very happy with (and it fits just fine).
It's too bad the Meyer wouldn't fit, as I have read some very good reviews.
Oh well, I learned my lesson...the next time I look for a new MP I'll take my neck with me to make sure it fits before buying it!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Honestly, I suggest Meyers to students as step ups.there are others but I always encourage them to play the mouthpiece if they can before buying. When they ask what I play on it’s been a Lamberson Fmaj7 for like 10 years so...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts