Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few people out there making high quality Link-inspired mouthpieces for tenor, but I was curious about what the demand for alto Links were. I know that Meyers are much more popular for alto, but I've seen and heard some players getting some fantastic sounds out of some of the older Links. I'd love to see a modern recreation of something like the Reso Chamber.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
37,488 Posts
Check out the Phil-Tone Intrepid.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you don’t mind waiting, vintage Otto links for alto aren’t nearly as valuable as their tenor counterparts, I’ve seen reso link altos sell for as low as $300, which would put it in competition with any replicas

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Check out the Phil-Tone Intrepid.

Great mpc. On alto it is an mpc i always come back to.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
@Sigmund451 -- what is the secret to getting fast response on a large chamber piece? I have always found them to be a little resistant. Or am I confusing two different things?
I can't give you the answer but have to say that Phil knows the magic to do the trick to make the response on these pretty fast. The Intrepid on tenor was one of the fastest darker mpcs i ever played and the alto one has also a fast response/attack. Also the Onyx on tenor (which i love) is faster than any Link i tried (and i tried a lot).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
37,488 Posts
I played the Intrepid on both alto and tenor. They deliver in all categories for me: tone, character, intonation, and response.

P.S. and OBTW: Not stuffy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
714 Posts
I have a Phil-Tone customized Otto Link Tone Edge in a 6* opening that I got a few weeks ago, and I have been LOVING this mouthpiece. Perhaps it has some similarities to the Intrepid, which I haven't tried, but it's very warm yet definitely NOT stuffy and the response is fantastic. This is a smaller opening that I usually play, but the sound has so much guts (usually, smaller openings on alto sound thin to me) that it feels just right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts