Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about everyones oppinion about which saxophone I should buy.

Some info about me:

Im 13
I play in concert/jazz band
I take private lessons with an incredible player. -Kevin Peters-
I play at a 9th-11th grade level, and I went to Blue Lake music camp, making the highest band, first chair above all seniors.
Im mainly a classical player, but I'd like an "All-around" Horn if at all possible.

Please give your input!
Thanks, Alex ^.^

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Are you talking about alto or tenor?

If you like your Selmer Aristocrat you could upgrade to a Selmer Series II or III. I prefer the II, but if you like a really bright sound the III will be good too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Choices, choices

I would highly recommend you take yourself to a music store with your mouthpiece, some good reeds and try as many horns as you possibly can. What works for you is something only you can determine. This may not be the definitive answer you are looking for but there are many good horns out there depending on what where you're at, what you play and how you play.

I bought pro-level tenor and altos almost a year ago after a number of years playing student saxophones, one of which had worn out to the point where repairs would cost more than the value of the saxophone. I was convinced that what I wanted was brand x, based on many other people's opinions and experiences (not naming any names to avoid re-opening certain well opened cans of worms).

The results of my playtests led me to some rather surprising conclusions.

What works on tenor may not work for you on alto/soprano/baritone. (You haven't specified which you play. From your classical bent, I suspect alto)

Go try as many as you can and try not to discriminate solely on the power of the brand name. What matters most is how it plays. FOR YOU

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,960 Posts
You are obviously a skilled player, destined for greatness. Contact Yamaha, Yanagisawa, Selmer, etc. and ask which one will underwrite your education and give you a horn in exchange for your endorsement.

If none of them go for it, buy a Yanagisawa... or a Selmer... or a Yamaha...

Best to find a dealer that has each of these horns so you can blow them. You will find that some - even if someone else loves it - just won't work for you. If you really have developed some skill, you will find that one particular horn will really connect - and then no one else's opinion will matter.

Enjoy the quest and g'luck.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Martinman said:
Why? Those are nice horns...
A little Irish humour, perhaps, LOL. Did you see his equipment list?

Alex, is money a factor? No need advising champagne if you're on a beer budget, wot?

·
32,960 Posts
I HATE it when someone else posts the same thing at the same time and THEIR post gets priority.

Forget what I said. Get a Selmer. There. Done.

Now go practice until you find that a Selmer won't meet your needs anymore. ;)

·
32,960 Posts
gary said:
This forum is heavy laden with questions just like yours and with just as many answers.
Not true. For each question such as this, there are at least an order of magnitude more answers. Don't believe me? Try the search function! ;)

·
4,147 Posts
gary said:
A little Irish humour, perhaps, LOL. Did you see his equipment list?

I noticed that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would highly recommend Yanagisawas. I have both an alto and a tenor (I play mostly classical too) and they are perfect for the job. The keys fit perfectly under my fingers and I really like the sound I get out of it (using an S90 w/ Grand Concert Selects). Intonation on both my horns is also exceptional, I don't have any notes that are crazy out of tune. Added bonus: they aren't as expensive as Selmers, which are, in my opinion, the next best. Also, with the Yanis, I would just get the 991, the bronze model has a much wimpier sound.

·
32,960 Posts
grevsax24 said:
I would just get the 991, the bronze model has a much wimpier sound.
There's a first! I have heard comments of "the bronze model sounds better" and "there is no difference attributable to the metal" but "wimpier"???

·
4,147 Posts
I, on the other hand, cannot stand Yanigisawa altos and tenors (the sopranos are ok, never played/heard a bari). To me they have this wierd characteristic tone. I thought it was just me playing them until I heard someone play one yesterday. A lot of people like them though, so whatever...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Dr G said:
There's a first! I have heard comments of "the bronze model sounds better" and "there is no difference attributable to the metal" but "wimpier"???
Yeah, I said wimpier. I am a very loud player, the sax is one of the loudest instruments in the band and whenever something says Fortissimo, I play fortissimo. I couldn't push the 992 as far as the 991, the 992 had a much "fluffier" sound but I can get the same sound on my 991 when I need it. When my teacher played my 991, he said it reminded him of his VII in terms of sound and power(AND had much better intonation than his VII). He is also a loud player, and once he took a decibel meter, put it a ways away from his horn, and blew. He got up to 120 dB. Dang.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
what ever happened to blending with the band ?

anwyays, Alex, you'll see there's alot of various opinions. The only consensus (if there is one) is to play all the pro horns you can get your hands on and make your own decision (Keilwerth or not). The only real limiting factor is your budget.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
If you plan on working with your current teacher long-term, I'd also ask his opinion... mostly to make sure you know if there are horns he just can't stand. For example, if he's so solidly in the Selmer camp that he's going to attribute tonal deficiencies (or whatever) to the shiny new Yamaha or Yani you just bought, you're going to get tired of hearing about it. Trust me.

And for heaven's sake, keep your old horn for marching band in high school.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts