Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a former tenor player and havent played regularly since 1980 or so.I recently bought an alto,which I never played before,and am wondering if the model 22 by Runyon would be a good choice to start out.I want to concentrate on all the basics,particularly my intonation and control of the instrument.I know it will probably come back to me pretty fast ,but being new to alto,I want to start out with good habits.Is this a good choice before moving to a Classic Jazz or Bionix model or should I just start with a more open,but harder to control MP.Thanks for any insight.
Jeff

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
The only concern I have about these pieces is that they have really wide rails. You may want to get a Morgan Protone instead which uses the same blank but is finished with much thinner rails and has a very accurate facing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
FYI ... Back in the 50's the 22 was a pro mouthpiece. Charlie Parker, one of Santy's students played an ivory colored 22 alto, not a Brilhart Tonalin as many think. The Morgan Protones are really just Model 22's with a different shank shape.

·
4,202 Posts
The older 22's and the modern Morgan Protone's are great mouthpieces. A number of folks have used the blank for their pieces. The complaint I have with the present Runyon version is that the rails are just wayyyyyyy toooooooo wiiiiidddddddeeeee.

Other great examples of the Runyon 22 blank are the white Buescher pieces (typically they say Buescher 400 on them) and the white Pan-American pieces.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been using a Runyon 22 #5 on my Martin alto for about 2 years ansd it's the best student mouthpiece I've ever used - better than Yamaha's - nice round sound , easy to blow, I've used it on gigs and recordings and it's my main piece. I recently tried a Vandoren V16 , a Selmer S80 , Yanagisawa ebonite and a Zinner in an effort to find something with a bit more volume and body and none of them were significantly better than the 22. The facing curve is very accurately made , so you can push it into the altissimo and it goes down to bottom B flat with out having to subtone. Wide rails or not, it's not given me any trouble and for the price is unbeatable - if only they did one for soprano !

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hurling Frootmig said:
The only concern I have about these pieces is that they have really wide rails. You may want to get a Morgan Protone instead which uses the same blank but is finished with much thinner rails and has a very accurate facing.
It's a no brainer to me. For the same money you can get a hand-finished Morgan Protone. Great beginner mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
623 Posts
Santy Runyon designed the 22 as sold nowadays to have slightly wider rails so it is squeek proof for students and he said it has no deleterious effect on the sound. This is was Paul coats has said on another SOTW thread. Is there some reason that wide rails on the 22 are a negative?

·
623 Posts
"Professional mouthpiece feel and sound at at student's price level, the Morgan Protone is made from a blend of a unique synthetic with 30% rubber. Each Protone is completely hand finished."

wwbw.com says that the Protone is 30% rubber? How can this be the same blank as the Runyon 22? Isnt thee 22 and all non-metal Runyons 100% synthetic/composite material?

Also if you get the 22 from runyonproducts or gigdust you get the ligature and cap.

If you get the morgan protone alto piece from junkdude.com or wwbw.com it doesnt sayyou get a ligature or cap. So that makes a price differential between the the 22 and the Protone.

·
4,202 Posts
Nope they're made from the same material. It appears to be a material that is more dimensionally stable than just plastic.

I typically use Rovner's on my Runyon pieces. The ligs and caps that they supply are plastic and I don't have a lot of faith in them for long term use. I have an old SR that belonged to my grandfather that has a nice metal lig. Not sure if it was original or not but it works well.

·
623 Posts
I played a 22 in 5 facing yesterday, in white, from runyonproducts.com. $30 plus shipping, came with white cap and a METAL ligature.

Im usually on a .085"-ish mouthpiece so the 5 facing which is .075" was easy for me. (Ive read BIRD was on a.069 facing on this piece, which is hard to believe.)

Anyway, it plays well! All the standard sax notes play with great ease (I didnt try altissimo.) It has a nice warm tone.

It did seem to play in a slightly stodgy, restricted way, (But I could play THROUGH this to get good volume and sound.) I dont know if this was due to the rails (that are a LITTLE thick) or the fact it is .075" and I am usually on .085-ish mouthpieces. Maybe both. I was on an RJS 3s reed.

Very similar to a Brilhart Ebolin.

Very PLAYABLE. Has anyone tried to order this in a higher facing than the 5 from Runyon? I wonder how it would play in an 8 or 9.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts