Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow, that was a mouthful. If that line of musical jargon captured your attention, I present to you a YouTube video by Adam Neely on "The most elegant key change in all of pop music". He analyzes a critical key change in the performance of All By Myself by Celine Dion, how it makes you feel and how it tells a story. I have just enough music theory to follow his discussion and I found it fascinating. It's not a short video being nearly 30 minutes long, but as a musician it is incredibly interesting and thought provoking. If you decide to watch through it, I wonder if you found it interesting as well?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I did watch it, and thought it was interesting. I think that it could more elegantly be described as a simple Common Tone Modulation, and drop all that academic jargon. Enharmonic Double Chromatic Mediant. Sheesh.

I agree it is a powerful modulation and a very elegant key change. I think Mr. Neely had his tongue a bit left of center with that description though...

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did watch it, and thought it was interesting. I think that it could more elegantly be described as a simple Common Tone Modulation, and drop all that academic jargon. Enharmonic Double Chromatic Mediant. Sheesh.

I agree it is a powerful modulation and a very elegant key change. I think Mr. Neely had his tongue a bit left of center with that description though...
The thing that sort of fascinated me was that an emotional translation of music can be described and maybe even quantized. It had me thinking about how we came to have this common emotional reaction to various keys/chords. Is it learned or is there some sort of genetic memory at work? As a computer scientist I wonder if this knowledge could help build a better tool that can identify "good" music? If so then having an AI create "good" music is transformed into a search routine. Also, as a musician it adds a layer of appreciation I will now have for the emotional language of song.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts