Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a French/USA Vito tenor xxxA from c1965. It has great tone and intonation, but I have trouble with second register notes wanting to drop into the first register. I had a friend try it and she had the same problem. I took it to my tech and, though he played it nicely, said he could see what I was talking about. After examining the instrument he said the problem was the side vent that is opened by the G key when in the second register. He said the hole was unusually small and that most horns have the vent hole 2 to 3 times as big. He said he could open the hole a bit but didn't know what would happen to the intonation. He said he had done it to a bari (didn't mention model or make) and that it worked out fine.

Does anyone have any experience similar to this? Maybe I should just work on my embouchure - particularly keeping the throat open as he suggested.

-- Al [rolleyes]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
I have the 329A Vito tenor pictured in my avatar... I have had no such problems myself but I would like to hear your solutions? if you find any... I 'have' adjusted the cork on the primary 'teeter-totter' octave rod...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem solved!!!! It's the articulated G# lever. When in the DOWN position the problem goes away.

-- Al :cheers:

·
1,526 Posts
Congrats... Now you can concentrate on how nice a sax this horn is... I put a little more tension in my G# spring action and like the result...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It IS a great horn. I was on the verge of selling it. Glad I figured out what the problem was.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved!!!! It's the articulated G# lever. When in the DOWN position the problem goes away.

-- Al :cheers:
I spoke too soon. Every time I appear to have solved the problem one day - different reed, different mouthpiece, different lever position - the next day the problem is back. Maybe it's just me.

-- Al

·
1,526 Posts
What mouthpiece re you using with this horn old999? I've used a Berg metal piece and lately I found a 70's Brilhart Level-Air #9 that really sings on the Vito I have...

·
1,526 Posts
Wow, That was post 666 to old999 ???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,555 Posts
I spoke too soon…
Maybe not. It could still be the G# lever. If it's anything like the ones on Couesnon and SML horns, they are not the most precise mechanisms. So they can move around a bit even after you have set it. Try putting it in the down position and pushing it one way or other. That might make a difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What mouthpiece re you using with this horn old999? I've used a Berg metal piece and lately I found a 70's Brilhart Level-Air #9 that really sings on the Vito I have...
I was using a Vandoren V16 8M mouthpiece with 2.5 reed. I just got a Link 6* and really like it, though it doesn't solve my problem. My other tenor is a free blowing King Zephyr. It's a kick-*** horn with no problems; the Vito is a beautiful horn.

I'll try messing with the articulated lever. I have similar Vito alto w/o the lever (slightly newer horn) and have no problem whatsoever.

-- Al

·
1,526 Posts
Leak light time in a dark room... Have you?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts
wait. If your having a hard time hitting the high notes but can play all the way down to a low Bb then I suspect you are over blowing the octave key. If so the problem is you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe not. It could still be the G# lever. If it's anything like the ones on Couesnon and SML horns, they are not the most precise mechanisms. So they can move around a bit even after you have set it. Try putting it in the down position and pushing it one way or other. That might make a difference.
You're right. It was the lever again. Somehow it got in the up position. I must have nudged it while taking it out of the case or putting it away. Either that or the elves did it overnight as a prank. :)

There shouldn't be any leaks. It's been gone over twice by the best tech in our area. I'm not overblowing - I know when I am.

Thanks, guys!!!!

-- Al

1 - 14 of 14 Posts