Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the title really, I am shortly playing a gig and Moanin' is in the set list. The melody etc is OK but I can't find what chords are played during the solos, listening to the CD there seems to be different chords played under all the solos rather than those used for the melody.

Can anyone help please, thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They play over the vamp(C-7 Bb7 A7b9 D7#9) and then modulate it to IV during the bridge. I LOVE Benny Golson's solo on this tune... at least transcribe the first chorus! SO hot.

Edit - those are the Bb changes.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They play over the vamp(C-7 Bb7 A7b9 D7#9) and then modulate it to IV during the bridge. I LOVE Benny Golson's solo on this tune... at least transcribe the first chorus! SO hot.

Edit - those are the Bb changes.
JoeHenderson - Thats great, thanks for that and if I get time I will have a go at transcibing Benny's solo.

Regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think I may have that wrong, the first chord in the solos may be G-7. Its been a bit since I've looked at that tune and I'm not positive. That would make sense though because I remember it modulating to C in the bridge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
If you're in G- then the solo chords are: G-7 Bb Am7b5 Ab7
At least that's the way my band plays it. I don't really know the tune from any record, another player brought it in and worked it up, so I don't know how the chords we play relate to the recording.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The chords hgiles mentioned are the same as I mentioned actually after looking at it. A-7 makes more sense as the third chord anyway but different rhythm sections might play it differently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts