Sax on the Web Forum banner

M'Lady Tenor from Tenor Madness

89K views 270 replies 63 participants last post by  Balladeer 
#1 ·
Does anybody here have an opinion of the new horns offered by Tenor Madness?

#2 ·
Looks like a high quality Houli, Taiwanese manufactured instrument.

However I imagine with the "legendary" Madness set-up it would be superior to most in the same class.

Whenever I get my back-up horns situation where I want it I am sending my T.K. Melody's to TM for roos and pro set-ups.

B:cool:

#3 ·
A top line Houli sax with a great set-up guaranteed is great!

However...

I really think they needed to ask for some second opinions about that name!

"M'lady" is what an English servant says (or used to say?). What's the point?

Selling these Houli saxes is largely about marketing, and, unless I'm missing some really cool sax related idea, this looks like a blunder to me.

Also, I hope they'll post the prices. The whole "call for price" thing is a bad strategy IMHO.

rory

ps. I hope this doesn't sound too negative...just some first impressions!

#14 ·
However...

I really think they needed to ask for some second opinions about that name!

"M'lady" is what an English servant says (or used to say?). What's the point?
I so agree ... good grief is it supposed to be a play on "melody" or what? I'm not too, too fussy about this sort of thing, after all I'm the happy owner of a "P. Mauriat" (the famous jazz tenorman - not!) but I can actually see people shying away from this horn because of the name. I don't think I'd really want to own a horn called a "My Lord" or a "Your Highness" either.

#6 ·
Yikes!:notworth: That's about a grand more than I expected.

Now I understand why she wants to treat me like a servant!

I'm with Sigmund451: I hope this goes well for Tenormadness, and I can totally see the added value of a top notch rebuild, but it would make more sense for me to pay my own tech to do it. It's still going in the mail, right?

R.

#5 ·
Thats a bundle of cash for a Taiwanese horn. Even if Randy had made magic the resale is gonna go through the floor should you sell it. That much money on a new name is like speculating on a very risky stock. You can buy a late model VI for that, a near mint horn from any of the big 4, and and just about any vintage horn. Im not knocking TM for even a second here but economically speaking I dont see the logic.

I agree with the earlier post about "Call for Price". When I see that I never call. It always reminds me of menus in spendy eating establishments where no price translates into "If you have to ask, you cant afford it".

#10 ·
Thats a bundle of cash for a Taiwanese horn. Even if Randy had made magic the resale is gonna go through the floor should you sell it.
I agree with the earlier post about "Call for Price". When I see that I never call.
If a vendor won't state a "public price " , I am always wary. Why?- because some fool will take the first price , without bargaining , and the dealer wins out.
Even a "fixed" , non negotiable price is fairer- at least you know where you stand ( take it or leave it!) - it may work for a while with "rarer", in demand horns or mouthpices , maybe.
Best deal is usually a public price, upon which you can negotiate a deal - that benefits both buyer and seller!

Blowhard2

#8 ·
It says on their site that Jim Romain is doing some YouTube recordings for them. He's DrakeSaxProf on this board, so you might ask him.

#9 ·
I think you need to call and ask about everything. The M' Ladys on the Tenor Madness website are being newly developed--the website implies not yet for sale.

I bought a M'Lady from Tenor Madness this summer, but it is definitely something else. Bare brass. I liked it, spent $2500. After I had been around trying Cannonballs, Mauriats, etc. My understanding is that my M'Lady is a "Mauriat" Taiwanese horn that was completely rebuilt by TM, with higher quality pads, etc. Their complete overhaul and set up from the get go.

At that time, Randy mentioned these new horns. And he had a prototype, but I didn't try it, because I was maxing out my budget at $2500 and didn't want to be tempted. The maker of the new horns is working on all the details and design features with Randy at Tenor Madness. Not necessarily Taiwanese. Could be really nice.

#52 ·
I think you need to call and ask about everything. The M' Ladys on the Tenor Madness website are being newly developed--the website implies not yet for sale.

I bought a M'Lady from Tenor Madness this summer, but it is definitely something else. Bare brass. I liked it, spent $2500. After I had been around trying Cannonballs, Mauriats, etc. My understanding is that my M'Lady is a "Mauriat" Taiwanese horn that was completely rebuilt by TM, with higher quality pads, etc. Their complete overhaul and set up from the get go.

At that time, Randy mentioned these new horns. And he had a prototype, but I didn't try it, because I was maxing out my budget at $2500 and didn't want to be tempted. The maker of the new horns is working on all the details and design features with Randy at Tenor Madness. Not necessarily Taiwanese. Could be really nice.
I just bought the prototype from saxmanpete, who is also involved with the M'lady project. I take delivery on wednesday December 30th. The prototype was supposedly made at the cannonball factory and is not a Mauriat thank god. The actual M'Lady has the same neck tenon size as a selmer mark VI, while my prototype has the cannonball neck tenon size. I am lucky enought to have a trial period too, so if I don't like it, I won't take that taiwan horn resale bath either.

#12 ·
Cannonball has been flogged repeatedly on this forum for the same issue- including by me.

This new line offered by this esteemed shop really underscores that the core components that the Houli manufacturers make are getting so good that they can be used as a platform. I suspect that Tenor Madness could just get the horns in without pads.

It is a HUGE chunk of change, but if you're getting the same set-up they're charging $900 for built into the price, and the horn will last you for years of gigs, it kind of becomes noise in the system...

As for resale, I bought by Selmer Ref 36 with only a couple scratches, some worn pads, and a little acid bleed on it for $3k, and it sells new for $6200. Resale on new horns is brutal all around, especially in this economy.

#22 ·
See the Tenor Madness site for my own recordings, as well as others.

A couple of things:

1. I am a Conn-Selmer artist, and have a strong basis for comparisons to vintage Selmers. These play very well, and if I weren't set for Selmers, I would seriously consider them--for both classical and jazz.

2. They are not made in the Mauriat factory, or any other suggested here, including Barone or TK Melody. Where they are made is Randy's proprietary information, and has no bearing on the playability of the instrument. Why proprietary? Because Randy has invested two years building a relationship with the manufacturer and convincing them to build the exact horn that he has envisioned, which has finally happened.

3. Randy's setup is a significant part of why these play so well. He has also told me that he'll offer them with his own pads ($70) and resos ($90) for just the additional cost of materials, making it a full TM mechanical overhaul.

4. If you are curious as to how they play compared to a Mauriat, Barone, or, for that matter, a 5-digit VI or SBA, schedule a visit to Randy's.

5. Bruce Kapler is playing one on Letterman now.

6. What does Houli mean or imply? Given the connection to Chinese Neolithic culture, it seems like some kind of racist put-down, and I advise against the use of such a term.

This whole thread is an example of largely baseless SOTW speculation. It would be best to preface your posts indicating that you have either played the horn, or not played it, so that the context of your comments is clear.

I receive no compensation from Randy, either monetary or in-kind, by the way. He's a friend with a passion for saxophones, and has hit on something really special with this particular instrument.

Flame away, I suppose.

Jim Romain

#17 ·
The thing that gets me is it's not a rebuild. They are not going through the horn and replacing and fixing action like you would on a horn that needs a real rebuild. They are repading a new horn. What a rip off.

#19 ·
Supposed to be a complete rebuild. My understanding is that it comes assembled, then they take it completely apart and do everything that they would do on their highest priced rebuild.

I am trying to get things together enough to post on Song of the Month. I don't think you'll be able to tell from my (hypothetical) recording whether the sax sounds any good in the hands of a real tenor player--I'm a newbie to tenor and back to sax after a very long layoff. My strategy was to get a tenor that would be good enough (including setup) that any problems would be my own for the sorting out.

#26 ·
Hey Jim!

Although I can't see how saying that I personally don't like the marketing is "baseless speculation," I guess I'm a bit guilty in this one.

That said, let me at least correct one point you made that is totally off the mark.

Houli in this context refers very explicitly and without any added implications to the manufacturing town in Taiwan where saxes have been being produced since the late 1940s, and where the Mauriats, T.K. Melodies, Barones etc. are made. The general consensus has become that the Houli craftsmen and women are superb and produce world class products.

It's no more a racist put-down that saying that your MarkVI was made in France or your Conn in Elkhardt.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19234329&sc=emaf

rory

#27 ·
That information comes as a big relief, so thank you for that, and my apologies for misinterpreting the term!

As for the pricing/marketing, the price is $3750, and is, as far as I know, no more subject to negotiation than a horn that you'd buy from ProWinds, WWBW, or saxforte.com

The question as to whether or not it's worth that particular price point can only be answered by playing the horn.

Thanks,

JR

#30 ·
The name M'LADY started with the thought of the 1930's Conn "NAKED LADY"
This was my first guess, and one of the reasons I don't like it. IMHO, the "naked lady" is a Conn thing plain and simple, and so sort of non-transferable; secondly, the Conn "lady" image became a mark of saxophonic distinction because the horns were so good, not the reverse.

FWIW, I think something like "Randy Jones Custom Tenor" would work much better. By all means, put a cool and original picture on it, like the classic American makers did in their day, and hope it too becomes symbolic of a classic.

The name M'LADY is also a tribute to the Sly and the Family Stone song...M'LADY...
Sorry, but this simply makes no sense to me at all. :?

rory

ps. I've read a fair bit about Pres: he definitely used the term "lady" as part of his hipster slang, but I've never read that he called his horn "m'lady." I very much doubt he did.

#32 · (Edited)
I will post a formal new product thread on the Tenormadness M'lady in the near future. As Jim said it has been a long process to get the horn where it is now. I have used my inventory of Selmer , Conns, Kings, and Bueschers as reference to voice the horn. There will be many options available based around one basic body tube (real rolled tone holes). Details will be announced next month. Feel free to call the shop - 319-234-3561 ask for Randy. I hope to start shipping in January.

#34 · (Edited)
deleted

#35 ·
I acknowledged, and apologized for, my erroneous interpretation of 'Houli.'

As for the Conn connection, my own comparison of the lacquer M'Lady to my 1941 30M and 1957 69K tenors suggests that there is some influence drawn from each. There is a strong early-VI-like core to the sound, but a fullness in the palm keys that is more reminiscent of my 30M or my 1952 S20.
The true rolled tone holes also connect it up with pre-War Conns.

All informed opinions are welcomed!

#36 ·
If Randy is producing it, then it'll be every bit as good as he says.......the man is "the best" sax guy out there.....how he can make a horn play is incredible!!!! I once blayed a Borgani that he had done a lot too and it was amazing...even though i normally hate Borganis. I'll certainly be giving one a try.

#45 ·
Isn't there a legend about the horn's quality being in proportion to the size of the picture of the lady on the Conns?

#49 ·
Hi,
The saxophones are hand engraved. No two will be exactly alike. I will post some more samples on the website soon. The point is, if you don't want the full figure, go with a portrait, and if you don't like the portrait,have the floral pattern engraved. A friend just bought one of the pre-production versions and he is using a lady portrait with Art Deco engraving. Each horn will be personalized for the customer. If anyone has specific questions please call the shop at 319-234-3561 and ask for Randy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.