Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vintage Mk VI needs repair and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good repairman in southwest CT/ or in NY, Westchester County. I really don't want to deal with NYC, but might consider going up to the Boston area.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The only viable guy in CT (I used to live there) is Tim Moran up in Hamden, but that’s a haul and honestly you are better off at JL Woodwind or Roberto’s in NYC.
I live in westchester and there is nothing other than student “M*A*S*H 4077th style repair.
I have used JL with amazing results but Roberto is great too.
For a MK VI, is go to NYC.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Frank DeVito
New England Instrument Repair
38 Valley View Rd
Norwalk, CT 06851
(203) 846-6113

He does good work and he plays.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
You can drop me a line at [email protected] or I am at Paul Effman Music on Wednesdays in Lagrangeville, NY 12540 near the Taconic and Rt55 (20 mins into NY - 30 mins from Danbury).

You can search SOTW for what people think of my work, but I can probably do anything that you need. If we need / want to meet on another day, that should be possible. Just let me know.

Charles

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I will be not far from the Hamden area on Thursday and will kill two birds with one stone, so Tim Moran is the guy. Hopefully he will take good care of my baby!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,218 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I picked up the horn today and it plays great. Top notch repair facility. They even made some adjustments I didn't even request. The best thing is the repair cost was less than half what I thought it would be. How often does that happen these days! I never met Tim, but his tech seemed very knowledgeable. They will definitely be my go-to facility for repairs.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Tim does do repairs, but some time ago he had to take on a second tech because they were so busy. Either way, good stuff. Happy to hear it worked out well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I believe Tim went over my horn and mentioned to Julia a few tweaks it needed, other than the repair I bought it there for. She really seems to know what she is doing. I do some minor repairs, and even overhauled a horn once or twice over the years, but it's best to leave certain repairs to the experts, like Tim and Julia.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice to know there are good people in the area. No trip to NYC needed. It'll be even less fun when they enact "congestion pricing," which is coming soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts