Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hunting a Mk VI from a "difficult" seller for 2 years.
I haven't seen it, just know the description.
That may end soon, with a specific price given. But the seller's personality will probably only allow a one-time opportunity, and I don't know very much about it since he's not a player.
So when he quotes me a price, I need to know whether it's a buy or not-buy situation right on the spot.
I know it's in the thousands, so it's not a bargain, I just need to know how many thousands.

Know: it's in very nice cosmetic condition. Pads look ok. Gold color (don't know if it's plated or lac). This is what someone has told me.

Don't know: if it's playable.
if it's low A or Bb
if it's orig finish
what serial number is
whether it has hi F#
SO....I've looked over ebay and can't see why some get hugely higher prices than others, even when basically the same vintage/cond..

I'm looking for the price parameters that boost or reduce the price.
Is low A or Bb the higher valued one? By how much?
Is high F# higher priced used? By how much? (or is this like altos where the rumor is that the F# adversely affects intonation)?
Are 5-digit sn's just as overpriced as on tenors? By how much?
Are there value tiers for the various serial number series (e.g. 5-digit, low 100,000's, mid 100,000's, hi 100,000's, low 200,000's, etc) and what premium would one pay for each?

I'm just trying to pick the brains/experience of those who really know the market so I'll say yes or no to the deal immediately.

He has hinted that $5000 will do it.
So if it's a gold-plated 5-digit low A in perfect playing/cosmetic condition, I know that's a done deal.
If it's a late-200,000's relac low Bb that needs alot of adjusting and has dents removed and resolders, then it's too high.

CAN ANYONE just sort of casually direct me to the basic prices these have been going for on the non-dealer market, and how the above-mentioned details affect the price?
I just don't want to overpay, and as stated will probably have to make a decision right then before he gets annoyed and says he'll keep it for his grandchildren or something.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY DIRECTION/ADVICE/PRICING.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
462 Posts
I recently sold a low Bb 110xxx for £2,300 say $4,600. Only got one bid (ebay). This was for a good blowing original laq early 60's horn with virtually no dings etc. If you are looking for a low A , this may affect the value quite a bit.
Baris do not seem to fetch the same $ that tenors fetch.
If your one is as you say it is (i.e. goldplated etc.) and is in playing order, go for it!
Bear in mind that US prices now look V. cheap in the UK.
D.

·
Registered
337 Posts
For what it's worth, just from some shopping around I have been doing. I haven't seen even a low A VI in great shape go for more than about 6 grand. So if it's in good shape, 5 grand seems pretty much average.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008-
2,375 Posts
Bari ?

1.Selmer Bari's weren't factory gold plated(naive owners think gold lacquer is plating)
2.Selmer mark v1 Baris never had high f#
3.Low A/ B flat horns are two entirely different animals.

Sounds like you're fishing in the dark.................

·
Registered
290 Posts
mephipps said:
1.Selmer Bari's weren't factory gold plated(naive owners think gold lacquer is plating)
Well, not usually... Mine is though. There are probably a handful still out there...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,921 Posts
I've had loads of MK VIs. The baritones are nothing special compared to the tenors so my advice would be to leave this one alone and look for the many horns out there that have better and bigger sound than MK VI baris. IMO the Selmer MK VI mystique doesn't carry over from tenor to bari, soprano and in many instances alto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I already bought mark VI... 179 ... serie...so its early 1970....its big different between older and more new mark6´s?
is some differnts in material?

i have very good piece...lacqued, without gravour, without high fis....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts